Dan's 450l Marine Tank...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Good news, ammonia and phosphate are officially zero. Nitrite is still high, but has plateaued. So hopefully the extra live rock will expedite the tail-end of the cycle and I can add some livestock next weekend!

The mystery anemone is a Mojano... Kill it now with joes juice, kalkwasser, acid, something injected into it. You do NOT want that pest nem loose in your tank ;)

Otherwise looks great. Got some nice LR there

if you like th majona keep it, theyre not as fast spreading as aptaisia and actually have some color to them

Yeah, I thought it was a majano. There are probably 3 of them total in the tank.

Another rock also has a fair few aipstasias.

Will boiling water squirted right at them kill them?

Thanks for the advice, I will go to war with them tomorrow...

make sure to take the rock out and kill it if the Aptasia is not killed and breaks-up as a result of you trying to kill it, it will make more. I have made the mistake myself!

One other trick... If the nems are anchored near the surface of the rock, refrigerate some saltwater in a bucket; remove the rock and dip the nem in the cold water; cold releases their foot hold and they can be slipped off easy

My Resun Wave Maker arrived today. The current really stirs up the tank now. Took a good few hours for all the detritus that was blown off the live rock to clear.

IMG_0450copy.jpg

IMG_0451copy.jpg

I think I will attack all the visible aipstasias tonight with vinegar, and then take the rocks out for a proper assault on the weekend. In regards to majanos, how obnoxious are they? I do quite like the look of them, but if they are going to hamper the success of my tank down the track I will kill them now. I have done some reading, and people seem a bit split on whether or not they are really that bad.

Ok, so the vinegar works very well.

I just found this guy when I turned a rock around. I believe its some sort of anemone, anyone have any ideas? I can't find a similar one online anywhere. It has many short white tentacles. Here's a photo:

IMG_0454copy.jpg

I also found another one. It has very skinny purple tentacles that are quite long... maybe 2-3cm. The overall size of the thing is about 3-4cm. The tentacles have lighter purple tips and are sticky. It retracts and reacts to things as an anemone should. It's in an impossible place to photograph through.

IMG_0454copy.jpg

Is it me or is that an Acropora coral? Did you buy it?

Hows the Resun Wave Maker working out I read some bab pree about it and didn't get one but might revaluate that if all goes well with yourself?

It's a dead acro, yeah. Just a bit of decoration that came with the rock.

As far as the wave maker goes, I can't really comment on it too much at this stage. But the unit itself is very sturdy, the mount is easy to use and secure, it can be directed in a wide range of directions, the custom controller is very easy to use. The flow rate seems very strong in my opinion, like I said it blew a lot of c**p off my rock. I can see that there are strong currents all between the rockwork as well. Hopefully its positioning will mean that I have areas of high, moderate and flow flow in the tank. When it is on its high setting, I have about 48x turnover in the tank now.

I read that in the 48" tank you'll need two of them one at each end because of the wide disbersal of flow is limited in range? How have you found it?

That depends on a lot of things I guess. The flow velocity obviously decreases a fair bit by the other end of the tank, but in my opinion that's not really a bad thing. If you want really strong brutal flow all over your tank maybe two would be a good idea.

I've heard the same argument with the Tunze vs Resun units. What you have to remember is that the unit with the highest flowrate is going to have to greatest net effect on the tank. While the Tunze may have a more concentrated high-velocity flow, you are still going to see "still" areas in the tank because the jet is so narrow.

Most reactions

trending

Back