Danios Suffocating?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

its 17" across the top or about 10 or 12" from one corner to the other. not sure how tall. pretty tall. i cant reach in but half way unless i stand on something and its still too deep lol.

these danios have lived with this crayfish before i had the barbs. i moved him because he seemed stressed. i had one of the dying danios in a net at the top of his tank in hopes it would survive but it didnt. after i removed the net, i found him sitting on a loose anubius at the top of the tank. it was impressive. bet he felt pretty cool up there lol. he was probably hunting dead fishy smell...
(i do know they can try to escape so i check the tank regularly lol. he has never tried till today so im pretty sure it was to eat the fish)

its 17" across the top or about 10 or 12" from one corner to the other. not sure how tall. pretty tall. i cant reach in but half way unless i stand on something and its still too deep lol.

This is pretty much another case of maybe not the best scenario, but of the options it may be preferable.  I personally would want the danios separated out from the barbs, if this is a viable option, and here I would suggest it probably is.  B.

Byron said:
 Even after doing 50-60% water changes in all my seven tanks for 15+ years now, it still amazes me how this stimulates the fish.

Byron.

i feel like i see an immediate positive response too. 
ok. i think i may go ahead an mov them and see how they do.. its going to be near impossible to catch them! haha

Be careful about using length and width to determine volume.

For instance, "tank with base dimensions of 80cm (30 inches) by 30 cm (12 inches) which is the 30 gallon--though no mention is made of height";
I've got two tanks in my possession with these base measurements and neither is a 30 gallon. One is a 20 gal and the other a 45. When it comes to fish capacity, there isn't a lot of difference between the three given similar set-ups. Take those Tiger Bars for instance, You're not going to be able to keep any more in the 45 gal than the 20. With proper planning and filtration, the 45 can hold more types of fish and probably more numbers, if the fish are occupying different levels in the water column, but not a lot more.

i had put it in to a hex calculator a while back and got like 28 gallons or something. cant remember. id have to measure again. and the only thing i meant towards length was that they like the side to side space for swimming. if that makes sense. i was told the only fish that may put up with my hex would be ONE angel fish... lol. 

I don't think I've ever seen a non-custom hex tank that wasn't tall. Angels and Discus can do well in them because of the depth.

yeah. it is very tall. very. lol. i moved the danios into it and they were instantly happy. lots more space for them. and from one corner to the opposite is a bit wider than my 20gal cube. i think this was a good idea. 

the person i got the hex from had discus. but i dont think they would like that small of a tank long term? plus i prefer the angels. but now i got danios lol. and i dont think angels like zippy little chasy fish.

squidsagirl420 said:
yeah. it is very tall. very. lol. i moved the danios into it and they were instantly happy. lots more space for them. and from one corner to the opposite is a bit wider than my 20gal cube. i think this was a good idea. 

the person i got the hex from had discus. but i dont think they would like that small of a tank long term? plus i prefer the angels. but now i got danios lol. and i dont think angels like zippy little chasy fish.

I am certain that Rob was not suggesting angels or discus for your hexagonal tank.  It is much too small for either.  Both are shoaling fish that do best in small groups of 5+.  A single angelfish sometimes works, but personally I am not in favour of keeping fish contrary to their natural expectations (here, the shoal).

And you are correct, fast-swimming fish (the danios, barbs, some others) are not good tankmates for sedate fish like discus or angelfish, even in larger tanks.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back