Danio Is Dying

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

orangefish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My leopard danio is lying on the bottom all the time, led on his side and not moving any fins. Occasionally he will suddenly do a frantic swim sideways and crash into the ground. I thought it was swimbladder diease as all the symptoms match up and have treated for this with interpret and aquarium salt, however, I watched some of videos of fish with swim bladder and seem to be moving their side fins all the time, and slowly float about, which my fish isn't like. I know the swimbladder isn't contaigous, however, my guppy has been lying on the bottom breathing really fast for about a week now (I thought it was due to her being pregnant but I'm thinking she may have a disease). These 2 things could be connected. Please can somehelp soon as he doesn't look in good condition

Have you tested the water quality? What is the temperature of the tank?
Gill parasites can make fish breath rapidly, as well as unsuitable water quality conditions (like ammonia or nitrates in the water). The danio does sound like it has a swimbladder disorder (whether they float/spiral/sink etc all depends on how the swimbladder is damaged), but i have to say its chances of recovering from this sound pretty slim. More info on your sitution is needed.

Have you tested the water quality? What is the temperature of the tank?
Gill parasites can make fish breath rapidly, as well as unsuitable water quality conditions (like ammonia or nitrates in the water). The danio does sound like it has a swimbladder disorder (whether they float/spiral/sink etc all depends on how the swimbladder is damaged), but i have to say its chances of recovering from this sound pretty slim. More info on your sitution is needed.

Thank you for replying! I did read that temperature fluctuation can cause swimbladder, but the tank temp. is 26/27'C as normal :/
My test results show:
pH 7.8 (which is normallly this high)
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
Do you have any other suggestions how I could treat it, or particular treatments that are effective? The interpet swim bladder treatment that I'm using at the moment may take a while to kick in as I have to keep treating the water at intervals over 14 days.
Thanks again

Hmm Swimbladder disorders can be caused by internal bacterial infections or constipation (sometimes these are also interconnected), so the anti internal bacterial treatment by Interpet may be of some help as well as moving the fish onto a more vegetable based diet (or temporarily cutting back on its food in general). Concerning the rapid breathing guppy, does it (or any of the other fish in the tank) have any of these symptons;

# Fish scratching itself against hard objects
# Fish is lethargic
# Loss of appetite and weight loss
# Rapid, labored breathing
# Fins clamped against body
# Fine yellow or rusty colored film on skin

(If so the fish sounds like it has a parasite called Velvet)

Hmm Swimbladder disorders can be caused by internal bacterial infections or constipation (sometimes these are also interconnected), so the anti internal bacterial treatment by Interpet may be of some help as well as moving the fish onto a more vegetable based diet (or temporarily cutting back on its food in general). Concerning the rapid breathing guppy, does it (or any of the other fish in the tank) have any of these symptons;

# Fish scratching itself against hard objects
# Fish is lethargic
# Loss of appetite and weight loss
# Rapid, labored breathing
# Fins clamped against body
# Fine yellow or rusty colored film on skin

Thanks. Well neither the danio or guppy are eating (to my knowledge), but the guppy has been scratching a bit, has a loss of appetite, I can't tell if she's lost any weight as she's currently pregnant and was due to give birth yesterday, and has rapid breathing. I am not sure whether she has finrot on her tail slightly as there is a tiny nip out of her tail that has slightly grey edging to it. I wasn't sure if she's sat on the bottom because the male is harrassing her all the time and it was the only way that he would leave her alone.

It's really odd that all these problems are happening at once because the test results seem fine and I haven't noticed anything odd happening or changing in the tank recently. The only disease I have ever had is whitespot which I have cured. Thanks for the help.

Thanks. Well neither the danio or guppy are eating (to my knowledge), but the guppy has been scratching a bit, has a loss of appetite, I can't tell if she's lost any weight as she's currently pregnant and was due to give birth yesterday, and has rapid breathing. I am not sure whether she has finrot on her tail slightly as there is a tiny nip out of her tail that has slightly grey edging to it. I wasn't sure if she's sat on the bottom because the male is harrassing her all the time and it was the only way that he would leave her alone.

It's really odd that all these problems are happening at once because the test results seem fine and I haven't noticed anything odd happening or changing in the tank recently. The only disease I have ever had is whitespot which I have cured. Thanks for the help.

Yeah it does sound like the Guppy has Velvet- its quite a contagious parasite so i would advise treating the tank as a whole (Interpet also do an anti-Velvet treatment). With the danio, i would just keep treating it with the interpet stuff you're currently using (although swimbladder disorders are very difficult to cure, so be prepared).

Sometimes these things can just happen though- how long have you had the fish and when was the last time you made a new fish addition to the tank? Sometimes diseases or parasites can exist in the tanks water or in the fish for a long time without showing any sign of their existence, and that all it takes is a mundane thing to stress the fish or compromise their immune systems to trigger everything off (i.e. loud noises or vibrations outside the tank stressing the fish, large fluctuations in temperature, over or under-feeding etc).

Thanks. Well I have eSHa EXIT which treats whitespot and velvet, however, I have read up about the velvet disease and it says that they have a gold coloured dust/spots on them. I can't see this on her, but that may be because she is a gold colour, and fins aren't clamped either. My friend thinks that she may have a problem giving birth- however she has had this problem for a week or 2 now which was well before the due date. I have read up about fin rot and it does sound similar. A website says that the symptoms are "Rotting fins, loss of appetite and laying on the bottom of the tank. This is due to a bacteria that infects the fins of the fish. It is sometimes brought about by bullying from other fish and fin nipping. Most often it is due to poor water quality."
Do you have any other suggestions or still think it's velvet? Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back