Dangerous Dog In My Street

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

My dad has a friend who has some low strength mace he uses on vicious dogs if he feels threatened, there are apparently several that live on his street and they get out of their yards on occasion. Hurts and is sure to send the dog running, but a relatively harmless mode of self-defense as opposed to a bat or something like that... might be something to think about, "just incase".

Mace is a good idea, unfortunately it is illegal in the UK. I would like some myself! I was the victim of a minor assault last week and I would love to have sprayed some in the yobbos face! When I lived in a town I used to have a problem with aggressive dogs while walking my (small) dog. I used to carry a can of hairspray and some pepper! I never used it but felt better for knowing it was in my bag. Apparently spraying water in a vicious dog's face will make it back off. Don't quite see it myself but might be worth a try. :/

The little Impulse sprays are fairly innocent looking in the pocket. For dogs, an umbrella seems to be the best thing - pop it up and you have an instant scary barrier. :)

Let me get this straight; if you are sitting out in front of your house, or walking on public property in the UK, and a dog attempts to attack you, you don't have the right to defend yourself? They would rather see you go to the hospital than see you brain the dog in self defense? Something is wrong with that big time.

I have a massive 22 pound Cairn Terrier. If he doesn't like another dog, or if someone messes with the kids who are now grown, an umbrella is not going to stop him, even at 14 years old. My wife says the umbrella would be an appetizer. She is laughing at that idea, it would do noting but aggravate any dog but a toy poodle.

That dog is known in the area to be vicious, you going to wait for it to tear up some little kid? Or do dogs rights come before those of people? I've read numerous articles about loose dogs doing an incredible amount of damage to smaller children.

Around here that dog would be dead from lead poisoning, any charges for discharging a firearm in city limits would be tossed out of court.

In this country you're not entitled to carry weapons no - there's no point having a go at me for the laws of my country *lmao*. You are of course entitled to defend yourselves - poinsoning and shooting not being defensive, but unecessary and over here thankfully illegal. An umbrella can be highly effective, I've used one against an EBT that was intent on having a go at Dharma and it worked well (it was a strong umbrella), but it was only a suggestion. Any legal alternatives? :)

I now have an Impulse spray in my handbag. The next yobbo who assaults me gets it! Thanks Kathy. Hope you sort out that awful dog Wiss Wiggle. (I mean in a peaceful way). :)

thanks, i'm just trying to work out what house it lives at so I can get the dog warden on they're case. think I've got it sussed, just not 100% and really don't wanna make a mistake with that sort of thing!

In this country you're not entitled to carry weapons no - there's no point having a go at me for the laws of my country *lmao*. You are of course entitled to defend yourselves - poinsoning and shooting not being defensive, but unecessary and over here thankfully illegal. An umbrella can be highly effective, I've used one against an EBT that was intent on having a go at Dharma and it worked well (it was a strong umbrella), but it was only a suggestion. Any legal alternatives? :)

I'm sorry Kathy, I didn't mean to make it sound like a shot at you, I'm just amazed something like this situation isn't just taken care of locally, without it becoming some sort of legal situation. I am aware of many of the laws concerning weapons over there. http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=887302006
A gurkha is pretty extreme, being a combat knife. I hear knifes are becoming a big problem over there since they have an almost complete ban on firearms.. Hope they don't consider a swiss army knife a weapon, I've been carrying one for more years than I can remember, it's a tool that gets used daily.

I had to google Impulse spray to figure out what it is. Try a squirt bottle with some ammonia, it's a legal cleaning product, you probably have some from doing a fishless cycle.

This is legal, and would work wonders on dogs or other lowlifes; http://www.canemasters.co.uk/
Better than an umbrella, you can find them cheap used at garage sales & such. Check out an established martial arts school for some training, I would rather have something like that going up against a dog or thug with a knife.

Unfortunately, sometimes nasty dogs have to be dealt with aggressively. I was off work 6 years ago, smashed a finger in a piece of machinery. My dog starts going ballistic out in the yard early in the afternoon. I go out to see what the problem is, nothing out there. I go out the gate, and look down the driveway. There stands 2 of the biggest, most beautiful Great Danes I have ever seen. They heard me, turned around, and went into stalk mode, coming towards me with the ears flattened, tail out straight. I'm 6", 220#, and know when I'm outnumbered. I slowly walked backwards, keeping control of my sphincter, got back inside the gate, grabbed my dog & got inside. These dogs could have easily cleared my 4" fence.

Once inside I yelled to my daughter, who was off work that day, to stay inside. Spray or a stick isn't going to do much against 2 dogs this size. A 12 gauge will. I look out the back they're not there. I look out the front, they are bounding down the street, clearing 40 foot lots in 3 leaps, heading towards their house, the one with the 8' fence. Good place for them.

Thank God it didn't happen a couple of hours later. Behind my house is a High School, 800+ kids.

LOL, I found that CaneMasters site hilarious... Just made me think of little old men in tweed suits suddenly leaping onto someone kung-fu style with their walking stick :lol:

From what I've seen on google, 'You have the right to defend yourself with reasonable force and this includes using items you have with you such as an umbrella, bag, briefcase or keys'. So anything that isn't knife, gun, sword etc., should be fine. It's amazing what you can do with some normal objects- Keys are pointy objects that can be propelled with a fair bit of force.

Holy crap, Tolak, that sounds scary. How'd they get out in the first place?

P.T.

I'm guessing someone left the gate open. I don't scare too easy, that one scared me.

LOL, I found that CaneMasters site hilarious... Just made me think of little old men in tweed suits suddenly leaping onto someone kung-fu style with their walking stick :lol:

From what I've seen on google, 'You have the right to defend yourself with reasonable force and this includes using items you have with you such as an umbrella, bag, briefcase or keys'. So anything that isn't knife, gun, sword etc., should be fine. It's amazing what you can do with some normal objects- Keys are pointy objects that can be propelled with a fair bit of force.

Look for a place that teaches Filipino martial arts, an established one in a less than desirable neighborhood. Most anything using sticks translates well with canes. Expect to get bruised, don't expect any tweed. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back