cycling?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Andi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well, am all set to get my jewel vision 180 (30 uk galls).

I plan on setting it up and ordering an online pack of plants. When they come I'll do a 75% w/c and do the planting (in decent substrate). Monitor it for a couple of weeks do 50% w/c replacing with contents of my hex (15 gall).

fishes are
2SD's
1 golden barb (lonely)
12 guppies
4 silvery fishes (I used when setting up hex 2ys ago)

I plan to add (later) 20 neon tetras and a couple of nice bottom feeders.

sound ok?

you ordering from java! i plan on doing that next week for me large tank and new small tank just gonna get a large pack and split it between them!

yup, they sound good - and if not we now who to come after ;)

gadazobe said:
I bought the £15 tropical collection from Java - it had a great selection of plants, about 5-6 of each one. That might sound a lot, but remember that a lot of these plants are planted in groups of about 6 stems in each group. They send their deliveries every Tuesday by first class mail. I waited about 2 weeks for mine. They arrived in perfect condition and nicely labeled and also with lead weights to keep them planted. Most of mine did very well - but my pleco has destroyed a few.

I moved this topic as its likley to get more response here.

I would be tempted to use some water from you hex initialy aswell as this will speed the cycling process up perhaps soak the sponges from the jewel fiter in the old tank water from the hex aswell..

thanks for moving it for me :D I did wonder. And tips sound good ;) . Will do a 20% change of hex and use that to start. Get ready for daily water readings B)

What sort of filter is in the Hex?

You may well be able to use some of the media in the new tank.

:)

I was going to suggest that but im pretty sure hex tanks generally come with ugf so its not really possible could put the old substrate in to the new tank though

thanks guys - ordered the tank today :D and will use the old hex again so need the filter. I shall be getting an external filter for the new tank (suggestions?). Am intending to use a small amount of gravel from hex to help the new tank along, clean the new filter material in the hex and make regular water changes of the hex and put it in new tank.

Am not going too rush it too much tho - I love my SD''s too much to stress them too much ;)

Tank is up and running - looks good :rolleyes: Got the 85 plant collection from Java. - nice salad bar for the sd's :lol: :lol: :lol: . Am currently doing about a 25% wc each day and adding a gallon of the hex water to it. Am about to start taking readings - is this best done before or after a wc?

i started cycling my tank today, not had to do that in years, anything i should know!

lol cryosi - was hopind you'd help! just done a 30% change and washed the hex filter out in the new tank. Am gonna wait an hour for the monster filter to move a few hundred litres aroung then do me first water readings! :rolleyes:

well excuse the human stupidity but if ur cycling why u needa water change i just paid 14 quid for 3 large containers of RO water and minerals for me tank its not dirty lol im lost im sure when i set up the big tank i never did a change before the fish went in .... such a long time ago i cant remember. must clean the gravel int here 2morrow plec had courgete again and there is a big pool of mess to clean lol

lol @ courgette - its everywhere in me hex!

as for the water changes - I was under the impression that large water changes where good when cycling the tank? am sure we'll find out the truth ;)

ok, so nooo fishes in here for a while!

Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 75
Ammonia < 0.1
PH (broad) 9

Temp, oh it was 76f

well we shall see then i wont change the water this week as i see no need yet! will get meself a test kit one of these years lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: never used one since the family stopped breeding discus!

I stopped testing in my hex then all of a sudden my fish stayed alive longer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: shall start this tank off right :rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Back