Cycling tanks and cycle starters

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DAnCSF

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello All,

Well I finally got my CV DIY 55 gal repurpose project ready for water. I doing something different to get it cycled and would appreciate any observations/comments. First I divided my tank into a 18 gal aquarium /terrarium. I am using a powered internal hanging sponge filter. Tank will be planted with it's original gravel, still kept damp. , using SeaChem's stability to start up the cycle. I am also using tank water from my other tanks to fill the 18gals. I figured using gravel wash water was a good way to help start the cycle since will be de-clorinated and have fish poop in it. I'll planting with Java fern, java moss, some Anubias and small vals.

You could be safe and add some Tetra Safe Start Plus, your plants are mostly slow growing so they do not absorb a lot of ammonia or maybe adding some salvinia and frog bite floating plants would help make sure your tank is safe for fish. I am not sure how good SeaChem's stability is but Safe Start has the correct bacteria and I have used it in the past and know it works.

You need some fast growing plants in there to really get it going. I like Cabomba or Ambulia even hygrophilas

Thank you for the replies, great suggestion about using Ambulia, I happen to have lots....Hey Viking can you send a picture of "frog bite" not sure what plant that is.

Thank you for the replies, great suggestion about using Ambulia, I happen to have lots....Hey Viking can you send a picture of "frog bite" not sure what plant that is.
Actually it is not frog bite, it is frogbit. Click on the name for the link. I had these at one time in my aquarium but they didn't last long, many died but the rest kept getting stuck to my arms whenever I did work in the tank, and ended up somewhere else. The ones that I had were very tiny and never grew much at all. More of a nuisance then a help. But then these where my first floating plants, and I didn't know how to take care of them the right way.

Ambulia I do believe I had these too, looks like them in the internet picture on the link. They didn't last long either. I think that each aquarium is different, where some plants flourish others don't. And in any given aquarium plants that work for some, just don't work for others. In my tank Amazon Swords, and Moneywort grow like weeds, where other plants just whither and die away.

So always keep it in mine where your tank is concerned that if a certain species of plants doesn't work, other species will thrive.

Last edited:
Utar thanks for the info ...as it turns out Frogbit cannot be shipped to Ca oh well that's okay and yup you are quite right plants can be a hit or miss affair.....I also looking for a floating plants that I can use in my 100 gal to remove nitrates...currently using plain old duck weed....;-)

Can you get water sprite (Ceratopteris thalicroides or C. cornuta)?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back