CYCLING NEW TANK WITH TWO MATURE FILTERS

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Marc West

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys

Would like to say thank you to all the members that have helped me massively over last month with questions.

My fahaka has grown some over the last months and tomorrow and its new 400litre, 5 ft tank arrives tomorrow.

What I'm planning on doing is filling it up, having two external filters which have been running on two of my other tanks, one 240litre and other 300 litre running and adding Api water conditioner. Adding new play sand and 1/4 of current fahaka tank substrate.

How long would you say it will take to cycle and to move the little guy over.

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_20200313_073347_819.jpg
    IMG_20200313_073347_819.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG-20200305-WA0016-01.jpeg
    IMG-20200305-WA0016-01.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200304_153214-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200304_153214-01.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20200304_175021-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200304_175021-01.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 86
Set the tank up with new substrate and fill it with water. Then add dechlorinator and aerate for 24-48 hours. After that you can add an established filter and move the fish across.

You shouldn't need both filters. As long as the filter/s are established, the tank should be an instant cycle as soon as you move the established filter onto it.

----------------------
Regarding the second hand tank. Check the seams where the silicon glue joins the glass. Look for cream or white patches of silicon or areas with air bubbles in. These occur where the silicon has come away from the glass and is no longer any good.

Touch the silicon and see what it feels like. If it's hard and feels like plastic, then it could be stuffed. Good silicon will be firm to touch but also slightly squishy.

If you have any concerns, take pictures of the corners of the tank and post them here and we can look at the silicon for you.

Set the tank up with new substrate and fill it with water. Then add dechlorinator and aerate for 24-48 hours. After that you can add an established filter and move the fish across.

You shouldn't need both filters. As long as the filter/s are established, the tank should be an instant cycle as soon as you move the established filter onto it.

----------------------
Regarding the second hand tank. Check the seams where the silicon glue joins the glass. Look for cream or white patches of silicon or areas with air bubbles in. These occur where the silicon has come away from the glass and is no longer any good.

Touch the silicon and see what it feels like. If it's hard and feels like plastic, then it could be stuffed. Good silicon will be firm to touch but also slightly squishy.

If you have any concerns, take pictures of the corners of the tank and post them here and we can look at the silicon for you.

Thank you Colin, so leave the conditioner in
the water for 24/48 hours. Then turn filter

Thank you Colin, so leave the conditioner in
the water for 24/48 hours. Then turn filter
Yep.

Fill tank with water and add dechlorinator.
Aerate for at least 24 hours.
Then move the filter onto that tank and turn filter on.
Add fish.

Yep.

Add fish.

Perfect, thank you. Hoping also with bigger fresher tank. What parameters will be good, with regular water changes and ocean rock added.

Yep.

Add fish.
Hi colin

When you say Aerate shall I add an airstone in tank for 24 hours then add filter like you said

So tank all done, other than a few high Reed plants tomorrow.
Filter connected ready to go but not turned on. Water conditioner added and also a active air stone to aerate.

The tank silicon was ready good, best live seen for a while. Nice curved glass and no scratches.

Attached a photo of it now, but think I will paint the cupboard and change the lid..

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_153707.jpg
    IMG_20200315_153707.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20200315_153711.jpg
    IMG_20200315_153711.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 94
If the filter is a mature one that has been running on another tank, you need to move it back to the other tank until you are ready to move the fish over.

Colin said to set the tank up and let it run for 24 to 48 hours to aerate it. Using an air stone will aerate the water. Only after that, move the filter across, and also the fish at the same time.

If the filter is a mature one that has been running on another tank, you need to move it back to the other tank until you are ready to move the fish over.

Colin said to set the tank up and let it run for 24 to 48 hours to aerate it. Using an air stone will aerate the water. Only after that, move the filter across, and also the fish at the same time.

The filter isnt running, just put in place ready, I've closed down 2 of my other tanks.
Colin said to aerate water for 24 to 48 hours, and if you add an airstone it does that. Or.... I'm confused.

The filter isnt running, just put in place ready, I've closed down 2 of my other tanks.
Colin said to aerate water for 24 to 48 hours, and if you add an airstone it does that. Or.... I'm confused.
If it isn't running it isn't cycled

Colin said to aerate the tank to get oxygen in the water before moving the fish and filter over as we were under the impression that the filter was still in use on another tank.

How long since you closed the other tank? If it's been more than a couple of days, did you let the filter media get dry?
If it's not been long and the media was still wet, turn the filter on now. If it's been a while and the media was dry, you'll need to cycle it all over again.

Colin said to aerate the tank to get oxygen in the water before moving the fish and filter over as we were under the impression that the filter was still in use on another tank.

How long since you closed the other tank? If it's been more than a couple of days, did you let the filter media get dry?
If it's not been long and the media was still wet, turn the filter on now. If it's been a while and the media was dry, you'll need to cycle it all over again.
Oh I am sorry, The tanks was shut down today, so filter still full of water and media wet.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back