Cycling Help/Advice for a 19 gallon tank.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DevonM

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a new fish keeper and I set up my 19 gallon tank to cycle about 8 days ago. I'm doing the fishless cycle and so I haven't added in any fish yet. I used Dr.Tims Ammonium Chloride to setup an ammonia source in my tank and I have been dosing Seachem Stability on a daily basis. There was only a slight drop in ammonia from 4ppm to 2ppm on the second day. Ever since then however, the ammonia level has remained the same since today being day 8. The parameters are: Ammonia: 2ppm, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 0, pH: 7.5. I've got heater and sponge filter running in the tank since day 1. Is there something I'm doing wrong or need to do to at least see a slight drop in Ammonia and appear seeing small levels of Nitrites? The staff at the aquarium where I purchase my items said I would start seeing Nitrite around about day 6 to 7. However, it being day 8 there doesn't appear to be any signs that there are based on the water tests I've been doing everyday. Can someone please give me some advice on this because I don't really know what to do next.

Thanks.

Devon.

Hi Devon and welcome to the forum :)

It normally takes around 4-6 weeks to cycle a filter, but can take longer. Liquid filter bacteria supplements can reduce this time but it still takes a few weeks.

If you are adding a filter bacteria supplement, I usually recommend adding a double dose every day fort a week, then pour the remaining contents into the tank. Try to add the bacteria near the filter intake so they are drawn into the filter where we want them.

Other things you can do to speed up the cycling process include:
Raise water temperature to 30C. This lets the bacteria grow faster. When the tank has cycled, you can reduce the temperature.

Have the top of the aquarium open to the air to allow bacteria to land on the water. You can put the cover back on when the tank has cycled.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

Don't let the ammonia level go above 5ppm and 2-3ppm is better. If the level gets too high, the cycling process will stall.

Try to keep the pH close to 7.0. If it drops too low the cycling process can stop.

Keep the filter running continuously (24/7).

Then wait and let nature take its course :)

Thanks soo much Colin,
I will add those steps into the cycling such as increasing the heat and taking the lid off the tank. I have an additional question, I'm about to run out of the Seachem stability, does it matter if I used a different beneficial bacteria such of (One & only nitrifying bacteria)? or do I need to stick with Seachem stability considering that I started the cycling process with it. Please let me know and thanks again for your response greatly appreciate it.

It doesn't matter which brand you use, I would swap to One & Only or Tetra Safe Start.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back