The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No. Nowadays we add 3 ppm ammonia to start the cycle, then wait until certain targets have been reached before adding more ammonia. The cycling method on here was written so that if followed properly nitrite can never get high enough to stall the cycle.

It iused to be thought that 5 ppm ammonia should be used and that ammonia should be added every time it dropped to zero. But studies have shown that a sensibly stocked tank makes less than 3 ppm ammonia per day and that the bacteria don't starve to death in 24 hours as used to be thought. TwoTankAmin took this research and wrote the method on here so that stalled cycles no longer happen.

Big question is do you want plants? Some people make beautiful scapes with great success, its just another thing for me to kill after it deposits god awful amounts of snails and algae to my tank LOL.

I'm doing fish in but I've got a 75G with 3 Danios. I'm sure I've got SOME ammonia in there but API master kit picks up nothing (no nitrite or rate either) but its only been about 2 weeks too.
I used API Quick start and small water changes. I'm in no rush though, fish look great and I plan on getting 1 oscar one day after several months of happy Danios (they'll get a new home).

The directions on this site are pretty good I think to do a fishless with ammonia (get Dr Tims). If you had 4pp ammonia and now its 2 and stalled you may want to add more ammonia to bring back to 4pp.

Look at the bacteria as 2 fish species that can't survive without the other. If you starve one (not enough ammonia) it dies. Then the second nitrate dies without the first. If its stalled you may not have enough of the 1st.

I definitely want a lot of plants in there to make it especially comfortable for my betta. I've already had two fake plants in there for a while, was planning on getting real ones once the tank cycled but I put one anubias nana in there now, just to see what happens.

I did a small water change and now the ammonia is down to 1 ppm, so I might put some more in later.

If the cycle is stalled, adding more ammonia is the last thing to do. The more ammonia that's added, the more nitrite that is made and we know that nitrite stalls a cycle at around 15 to 16 ppm. With fishless cycling, sometimes a water change, redosing enough ammonia to get a reading of 3ppm works. 4 ppm is a bit on the high side.
And as this tank will contain just 1 betta, 1 ppm is more than enough ammonia.

H0pefulDad does want plants - he said

@H0pefulDad if you would rather finish the fishless cycle and you still have a reading of 2 ppm ammonia, you could try doing a 50% water change to get it down to 1ppm and see if that 'unstalls' things.

A further though occurs to me - have you tested the pH? In very soft water with low KH, that small KH can be used up and the pH can crash. Below 6.5, the bacteria stop multiplying. If the pH is above 6.5, that's fine but if it's below 6.5, this might be the cause.

The ammonia is down to 1 ppm as of today, so I might wait and see how that spans out before trying to add any more. But even if I do, I don't think there's much risk of nitrite levels getting that high, since they've never gone above 0.25 ppm since I first detected them.

Now that you mentioned it, I haven't tested pH in a while. Last I checked it was a bit high actually, but it might have changed somehow, so I'll test it tomorrow and see if it got any lower, thanks!

No. Nowadays we add 3 ppm ammonia to start the cycle, then wait until certain targets have been reached before adding more ammonia. The cycling method on here was written so that if followed properly nitrite can never get high enough to stall the cycle.

It iused to be thought that 5 ppm ammonia should be used and that ammonia should be added every time it dropped to zero. But studies have shown that a sensibly stocked tank makes less than 3 ppm ammonia per day and that the bacteria don't starve to death in 24 hours as used to be thought. TwoTankAmin took this research and wrote the method on here so that stalled cycles no longer happen.

I just read this article and I'll admit, I'm a bit concerned now because it mentions KH, and my test kit doesn't include one for KH. Guess I'll have to find one that does.

I feel like if I could just get a different reading for the nitrites then I could get some confidence back. Even if they dropped to 0 it would at least mean something is happening.

Look on your water provider's website for alkalinity if they give that. Alkalinity is what water providers call KH. If they don't give it, look for hardness. GH and KH are usually high or low together. Unless you have very soft water your KH should be high enough.

Ahh thank you.

Okay, I tested the pH of my tank water and it's around 7.6 or so, so that's not the problem. Ammonia and nitrites are, once again unchanged, so I added a little more ammonia.

Honestly, I don't know how all of the bottled bacteria I have could be dead, but if any of it worked I figured I would've seen something by now. The only option I'm seeing here is to either get another bottle from a store and try adding it again, or taking the risky route of finding someone near me with a cycled tank and asking them for a filter cartridge or something to seed my tank with. It's been more than three weeks now and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I got the Tetra Safe Start! I'm gonna add it to my tank and see what happens. Hopefully the bacteria in here are alive and will actually help my tank cycle. I also got a java fern, so that on top of my anubias should hopefully help speed things along.

Everyone here has been so helpful with their advice so far, thank you all. I know I should be trying to be patient with this process, but I don't know how much longer I can hold out. I saw bettas in tiny plastic containers in the pet store and I barely resisted the urge to just take one home. I need my tank to become safe quick so I can save one of those poor babies.

Hey, when you add the bacteria is it supposed to look like a little cloud of sorts in the tank water for a minute? 'Cause I thought that was a good sign, but it's been two days since I added it and the ammonia doesn't seem to have gone down. The nitrites might have gone up a tiny bit though, so is it just gonna take longer? Should I wait a few days or a week before testing again?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back