Cycling Completed!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Eelzor

This shrimp is so good it needs to be seen in wide
Reaction score
Hi pplz, :)

I have been cycling my nano saltwater tank for the past few weeks and it seems to just about be near the end. These are the water paras.

Ammonia - 0.1ppm
Nitrites - 1ppm
Nitrates - 30ppm

My questions are,

1. From my tests, the nitrites never got much higher than 5ppm. It must have gotten high to convert all that "off the charts" ammonia readings. I skipped a few days here and there so maybe it happened then, however to create nitrates, you need nitrites and if my nitrates are at 30ppm, there must have been a lot of nitrites before. I didn't seem to pick it up in my water checks - is this normal? Or was it likely that I just missed it?

2. When do I perform a water change on my tank? Do the paras have to be ammonia and nitrites at 0? And how big of a water change need to be done? (In %)

Tnx, :thumbs:

As i mentioned in Live chat, when the Nitrites begin to rise you need ot be testing daily because they will fall extremly fast and you might not catch it. :*)

Ok so the tank is nearing its completion on the cycle, you still need to get rid of the ammonia and nitrites but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel.

When the tank is fully cycled I would do a 50% water change and reduce the nitrates to 15ppm Then start to add the cleanup crew and perhaps a hard fish.

Thanks very much navarre. :)

One question though - With "Hard Fish" is a damsel or clownfish suitable?

tnx again,

Keep clear of damsels :crazy: Yes they are hardy but they are also very pugnascious and in a tank of this size they will "own" it.. actaully they will "own" a tank of almost any size!

Clowns are fairly hardy but do better in pairs so if you are going to add clowns then 2 will be needed IMO and with a tank of this size i just dont feel its ready for this.

Perhaps a small goby or blenny? relatively harmless and a good candidate for keeping the bioload functioning.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back