Cycling Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If it's mg/l calcium carbonate, it's very soft water. If it's mg/l calcium (a unit common on UK water company websites) it's still very soft just not quite as soft (max 2.8 dH)

I think it’s mg/L calcium carbonate. First two columns in the attached (Raw and Treated Water) provide the analysis of our city water supply. Does this make sense?
60BA05C2-835C-4CDA-93C3-79FD331A2193.png

Looking at the two columns for raw and treated, it appears they are adding something to the water when they treat it. Both alkalinity (which we call KH) and and GH both go up. But the levels they give for KH and GH in treated water are both still in the very soft range.

Yes indeed. I believe they add a lot of calcium based on what I’m finding online. So I guess stocking wise, I’ll have to focus on fish that do well in very soft water.

There is nothing in the water data that would bother me, and whatever the actual number, as @Essjay said, it is very soft. All of the fish species I previously mentioned would thrive in this water. I might want to rethink the numbers, last night was at the end of the day and sometimes I rethink things in the colder light of morning--but the species mentioned are still OK.

See if you can find out what they add to the water; this is not uncommon, they do it here in Vancouver.

Will see if I can find out what they add. I assume stocking numbers should be lowered on the fish you suggested? You may recall I added ammonia yesterday followed by the Fritzyme turbo 700 bacteria. Just tested ammonia and it’s still at 3ppm but also tested for nitrites and they have climbed to 0.25ppm from 0. Nitrates still at 0. Added more turbo 700. Perhaps some progress here? Thanks again for all your help!

Will see if I can find out what they add. I assume stocking numbers should be lowered on the fish you suggested? You may recall I added ammonia yesterday followed by the Fritzyme turbo 700 bacteria. Just tested ammonia and it’s still at 3ppm but also tested for nitrites and they have climbed to 0.25ppm from 0. Nitrates still at 0. Added more turbo 700. Perhaps some progress here? Thanks again for all your help!

If this were me, I would do a water change to get rid of the ammonia. It may work, but you are now waiting for it to do so. I have been setting up new tanks for over 30 years and I have never cycled a tank with ammonia, I let the plants do it.

If this were me, I would do a water change to get rid of the ammonia. It may work, but you are now waiting for it to do so. I have been setting up new tanks for over 30 years and I have never cycled a tank with ammonia, I let the plants do it.
Ok cool. Will give it a try. Would you suggest like a 50-75% water change?

Ok cool. Will give it a try. Would you suggest like a 50-75% water change?

Yes. Then test ammonia. I am also giving a bit more time to ensure the plants are growing (there are signs they are in the photo, so that's good).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back