Cycling A Small Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

orangefish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I set up a 10litre or so plastic tank yesterday for my 2 week old guppy fry to go in, but I'm currently waiting for it to cycle. I was just wondering, how long will I need to wait for this tank to cycle so I can put my fry in- as I wondered if it takes less time for a smaller tank to cycle? Thanks

it would be good if you could just seed the pumb your using in it with some media from your current tank? do you have a filter in it? there is a guide that shows and tells you how to make a simple filter for small tanks

it would be good if you could just seed the pumb your using in it with some media from your current tank? do you have a filter in it? there is a guide that shows and tells you how to make a simple filter for small tanks
I do have a filter in there- I'm going to put a net over it or something to stop it sucking the fry up. I didn't really want to cut up the filter media that I have in my main tank :/

ok in that case, you could add the filter to your main tank so it can build up its own bacteria, otherwise it will need to be cycled just like any other filter which can take a long time.... a good few months easily!

ok in that case, you could add the filter to your main tank so it can build up its own bacteria, otherwise it will need to be cycled just like any other filter which can take a long time.... a good few months easily!

Well I put the existing water from my tank into this small tank, so it's been running for 1 day now on the 'cycled water'. How long do you think until I can put the fry in? Thanks

Ive heard about people not cycling fry tanks and simply doing large water changes daily to keep ammonia from building up.

Well I put the existing water from my tank into this small tank, so it's been running for 1 day now on the 'cycled water'. How long do you think until I can put the fry in? Thanks

Water from a cycled tank does NOTHING to help you cycle.......you either have to take a portion of your cycled media and stick it in with the new or you have to start a cycle from scratch that takes weeks and weeks.....
OR stick with LARGE water changes that might stress your fry a little too much..........

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back