Cycled finished but tank full of life

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Salts155R

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
firstly Merry Christmas to everyone on the forum. Hope you all have a splendid day.

So my 350L tank has finished cycling and just doing a water change when Iā€™ve noticed lots of tiny life forms in the tank.

Little white bug things round body thinning to a point with a tail, these are very very tiny and canā€™t get a photo, they are crawling on the glass.

the second one was a brownish clear worm, almost like fish poop but wriggling.

May be some type of detritus worms, feeding on fish food in the gravel. They are harmless and many fish eat them. I would do a water change and a good vacuuming of the gravel. Reduce the amount of food you add to the tank.

Last edited:
I agree with Retired Viking. If youā€™ve been using fish food thereā€™s probably an accumulation that needs to be syphoned out. Cut down on food.

May be some type of detritus worms, feeding on fish food in the gravel. They are harmless and many fish eat them. I would do a water change and a good vacuuming of the gravel. Reduce the amount of food you add to the tank.

I did a 75% water change and gravel vac before adding fish to the tank.
Iā€™ve not been adding food to this tank at all as I was using ammonia to dose the tank.

Iā€™ve added plants during the cycle so possibly come in off a plant ?

the little white things Iā€™ve identified as copepods and apparently so Iā€™ve read itā€™s a sign of good water quality and doesnā€™t harm the fish in 95% of cases but can cause distress to fry.

so the worm thing was just some live food them, an unexpected Christmas dinner for one lucky fish is it didnā€™t get vacuumed out.

The best I could get of the worms

Happy day...that's a great background. Those little wormy fellas will make for a nice snack. Carry on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back