Cycled Filter Media

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tank Sinatra

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Beginners question.

My local aquatic shop has offered me a load of their cycled filter media. They said if I add this to my current media/replace it, then my tank will be cycled. Is this true? Or is a smart tactic to get me buying fish faster!

Thanks.

Hi all,

Beginners question.

My local aquatic shop has offered me a load of their cycled filter media. They said if I add this to my current media/replace it, then my tank will be cycled. Is this true? Or is a smart tactic to get me buying fish faster!

Thanks.
That’s a really good offer from the store , I know people who sell established media for that purpose, it would be an almost instant cycle and I’d bite there hand off lol

That’s a really good offer from the store , I know people who sell established media for that purpose, it would be an almost instant cycle and I’d bite there hand off lol
Brilliant! They are very good to be honest. They were the guys that initially told me about the silent cycle as well. I'll head over and grab it now.

That’s a tough one. It is true that your tank will cycle much quicker with media from another cycled aquarium, however it will not be instant. The bacteria still needs time, much less time than going through the process without the cycled media, to establish itself. My concern would be whether or not you were taking home any bacteria, parasites or other unwanted life forms due to the store having so many fish. With that many tanks, if the filtration is one large unit, there has to be some type of outbreak time to time. I am a big fan of using others cycled media to jump start a tank. That being said, I need to know the history of that tank.
This is just my opinion so be open to others who may disagree. Welcome to years of enjoyment as a keeper of fish!

That’s a tough one. It is true that your tank will cycle much quicker with media from another cycled aquarium, however it will not be instant. The bacteria still needs time, much less time than going through the process without the cycled media, to establish itself. My concern would be whether or not you were taking home any bacteria, parasites or other unwanted life forms due to the store having so many fish. With that many tanks, if the filtration is one large unit, there has to be some type of outbreak time to time. I am a big fan of using others cycled media to jump start a tank. That being said, I need to know the history of that tank.
This is just my opinion so be open to others who may disagree. Welcome to years of enjoyment as a keeper of fish!
Agreed....it's nice to have seeded media, but I'd rather get it from one of my own tanks, or from a friend, because of the possibility of pathogens

The tank its' coming from is their 'show tank' at the front of the shop. They are breaking it down to make space for a new marine tank. It just so happened I was in the shop as they were doing it. They know I've got a new tank as I picked it up from them just last week.

Hi all,

Beginners question.

Thanks.
I wish someone near me would offer cycled media. after years away from the hobby I'm just about to start a small 66 litre tank to see if my kids are bothered about keeping fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back