Cycle your tank!

FishBearer9845

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys

Whilst this will be the most obvious thing to say on the forums, I can't stipulate it enough. CYCLE YOUR TANK BEFORE ADDING FISH!

Most of you know I harp on about not doing my own research and trusting my LFS. Well the two ended in a fish in cycle, and I was determined to cycle my next 'big' tank.

My betta tank only needed seeded material from my existing tank which I put in my existing tank for a couple weeks, so when he went in there, I've never had any problems with ammonia or nitrites, and have tons of plants in there with him.

My third tank, and the one I mean in this post, is the one done 'properly', fishless and following the brilliant guide on here.

Yes, it did take 6 weeks, but the feeling of having put 9 tetra in there yesterday, and testing the levels today and having no issues whatsoever, is such a relief and outweighs the wait for the cycle to complete. I appreciate I haven't put 9 plecos or 9 cichlids in there, tetras are small however, knowing they are safe is such a relief. The stress I got myself into when I did the fish in cycle with my first tank just is not worth it.

It is also such a satisfying feeling, putting those first fish in, knowing you've done your homework, and that the tank is safe.

There will still be many new people who come here to the forums having fallen into the same trap as I, and I don't judge. But trust me when I say it just isn't worth risking those babies lives.

Thanks for reading. :D

I'm enjoying just looking at my plants while my tank cycles. Like you I followed LFS advice and ended up with so many fish deaths. 12 days of 75% water changes got everything cycled & safe. But it's much more working trying to do a fish-in cycle and rescue fish after ammonia exposure. Definitely agree with your post. No judgement to newbies. Fishless cycle is definitely kinder than what I went through.

Now I mellow out listing to my water ripple & stare at my growing plants. I'm only on Day 11 of cycle so hopefully I feel as patient in another 4 weeks :rofl:

Silent cycling for me from now on unless it’s an emergency. Sand in, water in, plants in, turn on heater, turn on filter, turn on lights. Go to pub. Come back in two weeks or so. Sorted.
Yeah I'd prefer silent cycle. I don't like adding fish food to rot in the tank. I might suck it all out and go silent :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back