Cycle starters?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishy_Dan

Mostly New Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Back in the day when I did my first fishless cycle (about 10 years ago). LFS sold a product from the fridge that apparently contained all the bacteria you needed. I added it to the filter and then did the cycle. No idea if it helped or not.

I can't seem to see any similar products now. Do people still use that kind of thing?

Thanks

Most shops swear by them but current versions are kept on a shelf rather than in the fridge. The best two are Tetra Safe Start, and Dr Tim's One & Only (though that's hard to come by in the UK). These have the best reputation, but they don't work if they've been allowed to get too hot or too cold at any time between the factory and your tank.

I've used Tetra Safe Start Plus once to completely recycle a tank, but now I use anytime I start to get ammonia readings - use about 1/4 a bottle and next day the ammonia is gone. I also use it when I purchase a bunch of new fish - like right now I have a tank with a small number of fish and another one that is empty (electrical accident - always check your cords) - when I put fish in these tanks I'll also add safe start to make sure there is enough bacteria to handle the extra bioload. Just flying by the seat of my pants, but it seems to work, while in the past when I'd add a bunch of new fish I'd get a couple or more die off over the next few days. And I also try to clean my tank before adding new fish, and switch out about 70% water (weekly). I wasn't aware of the hot/cold issue though. My house stays at the same temperature year round.

Most shops swear by them but current versions are kept on a shelf rather than in the fridge. The best two are Tetra Safe Start, and Dr Tim's One & Only (though that's hard to come by in the UK). These have the best reputation, but they don't work if they've been allowed to get too hot or too cold at any time between the factory and your tank.

Ah, that's why I couldn't see it in the fridge!
I'll give safestart a try when setting up the tank and see how quickly it cycles.

I'm going to say something some might find controversial...

But from my understanding those expensive bottles of bacteria which are reported to contain "Beneficial bacteria" are money sinks. The bacteria need a source of food and oxygen to survive and to date nobody has explained how these are maintained in a bottle.

If you're forced to turn off your filter for over a week, it's well documented that your bacs will be reduced, possibly resulting in a mini cycle. But at the same time, these bottles sit on shelves or go through shipping for months?

But from my understanding those expensive bottles of bacteria which are reported to contain "Beneficial bacteria" are money sinks. The bacteria need a source of food and oxygen to survive and to date nobody has explained how these are maintained in a bottle.

If you're forced to turn off your filter for over a week, it's well documented that your bacs will be reduced, possibly resulting in a mini cycle. But at the same time, these bottles sit on shelves or go through shipping for months?
I don't think many would actually disagree with you.........

it's highly dubious! I can't imagine it does anything either, but for £5 it's worth a shot for the chance it might speed up the wait for fish

Most reactions

trending

Back