Cycle stalled?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Potter4

Reaction score
Ok, so I am in the process of cycling my tank. I added my second dose of Ammonia on June 29th. Been testing every other day since then. My ammonia is staying at around 1ppm and nitrites and nitrates are both 0. Shouldn’t I be seeing something else by now?

It can take 4-6 weeks or sometimes longer for a new tank to cycle. If the tank has a hood/ cover on it, remove the cover to allow bacteria to land in the water.
Increase the water temperature to around 28-30C to help speed the cycling process up. Reduce the temp after the cycle has finished.

Make sure the pH is around 7.0 or slightly higher.

Have lots of aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen level.

Add a bottle of filter bacteria to the tank. Use a double dose every day for a week and then pour the remaining contents into the tank. Try to add the supplement near the filter intake so it gets drawn into the filter where it belongs.

You can increase the ammonia to 2-3ppm and see if that helps.

If you have lots of live plants in the tank, then it might not cycle due to the plants using up the ammonia.

Last edited:
It can take 4-6 weeks or sometimes longer for a new tank to cycle. If the tank has a hood/ cover on it, remove the cover to allow bacteria to land in the water.
Increase the water temperature to around 28-30C to help speed the cycling process up. Reduce the temp after the cycle has finished.

Make sure the pH is around 7.0 or slightly higher.

Have lots of aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen level.

Add a bottle of filter bacteria to the tank. Use a double dose every day for a week and then pour the remaining contents into the tank. Try to add the supplement near the filter intake so it gets drawn into the filter where it belongs.

You can increase the ammonia to 2-3ppm and see if that helps.

If you have lots of live plants in the tank, then it might not cycle dur to the plants using up the ammonia.
Unfortunately, I can’t leave the lid off, because my cat would go swimming in the tank 😂 I will turn the heater up though, and see if that helps. My husband put sponge filters in that bubble the other day. Is that what you mean by aeration/surface turbulence? I read something about the Tetra Safe Start, I may try that. I haven’t got any plants yet, was waiting until the tank cycled to add them. Thank you for the advice 😊

Most reactions

trending

Back