What's new

Cyanuric Acid CyA

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Freshwater Sucker Fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
To my understanding, this helps to stabilize the chlorine levels in the water. I'm wondering how harmful is CyA to my fish my levels are 100 ppm how can I safely reduce my levels.

Thank You Cheers

Are you adding this to your tank?

From what I gather from google, it is used in swimming pools to prevent chlorine weakening due to sunlight. There needs to be a level of chlorine in the water in swimming pools but we do not want chlorine in our fish tanks so we don't want to add anything that will stabilise it.
If you are adding cyanuric acid, please stop and use a water conditioner which removes chlorine.

If you are not adding cyanuric acid, could you explain what you mean when you say your levels are 100 ppm. 100 ppm of what?

Are you adding this to your tank?

From what I gather from google, it is used in swimming pools to prevent chlorine weakening due to sunlight. There needs to be a level of chlorine in the water in swimming pools but we do not want chlorine in our fish tanks so we don't want to add anything that will stabilise it.
If you are adding cyanuric acid, please stop and use a water conditioner which removes chlorine.

If you are not adding cyanuric acid, could you explain what you mean when you say your levels are 100 ppm. 100 ppm of what?

I don't add it since water here is very harsh there is small amount of chlorine in the water. 0.5 ppm I believe. On my test strips it reads as 0 its such a small amount. Seems they add the Cyanuric acid into our water however. My test strips picked up on it. Now idk how to get it out or what I can do about it.

The Insta-TEST® Alkalinity test strips are a quick and easy way to test for Alkalinity in water. Range and Sensitivity is 0, 40, 80, 120, 180 ppm.

They don't say what they are out of ...

Ah, I understand what you mean now.

I have never heard of adding cyanuric acid to mains water, except in emergencies.

My reading suggests that it is used as a household point of use water treatment - in other words there is a device that treats the water at the point of use (household tap/faucet) rather than at the water provider's treatment works.
Is there anything attached to your watersupply where it enters the house, or under the sink?

Ah, I understand what you mean now.

I have never heard of adding cyanuric acid to mains water, except in emergencies.

My reading suggests that it is used as a household point of use water treatment - in other words there is a device that treats the water at the point of use (household tap/faucet) rather than at the water provider's treatment works.
Is there anything attached to your watersupply where it enters the house, or under the sink?
Not that I'm aware of. But I do live in an apartment. I have another option but it's super costly. And that's buying water at store. It reads with super good levels on everything. But very costly and hard work.

It may be something added to the water where it enters the block.

I have no idea how to remove it, unfortunately. All the methods for removing it that I can find are for swimming pools where the level is too high and the recommended methods include diluting it with mains water (which you can't do as it's in your mains water) and adding more chemicals (which is not advisable for fish)

The only other option would be to get RO equipment to make your own RO water. This would mean adding remineralisation salts to the water, the amount depending on the GH requirements of the fish you have.

I'm sorry I can't be any more help.

You could try a carbon filter. Dechlorinate a bucket of water and then add a box filter with carbon in. Let it run for 24-48 hours (or until the level drops to 0, assuming it does), then use that water for water changes.

Maybe contact your water supply company and ask why they are adding Cyanuric Acid to your water supply.

Possibly contact the Health Department and newspapers too and let them know the water company is poisoning the tap water with it.

I don't see any reason to add it to tap water and since you're in Canada, the water won't be getting hot and there won't be lots of bacteria growing in it. So a normal dose of chlorine would be sufficient without any additives to make it last longer.

You could try a carbon filter. Dechlorinate a bucket of water and then add a box filter with carbon in. Let it run for 24-48 hours (or until the level drops to 0, assuming it does), then use that water for water changes.

Maybe contact your water supply company and ask why they are adding Cyanuric Acid to your water supply.

Possibly contact the Health Department and newspapers too and let them know the water company is poisoning the tap water with it.

I don't see any reason to add it to tap water and since you're in Canada, the water won't be getting hot and there won't be lots of bacteria growing in it. So a normal dose of chlorine would be sufficient without any additives to make it last longer.

Might try this first tho depending on work involved

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back