Cyanobacteria-Blue Green Slime Remover

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

julielynn47

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have cyanobacteria, the bluegreen algae stuff that really isn't algae, in the 10 gallon that I am trying to cycle.

I had it before I left for my trip. I am afraid my actions of trying to get rid of it might have been the cause of the cycle crashing.  It says on the box of the UltraLife blue green slime remover that is won't bother the bacteria or the cycle. But I am afraid it did anyway.    So since it crashed, I decided to dose the tank before I left for the trip with the slime remover and figured when I got back home, the slime would be history and I could try the cycle again.   Well, it is not history. There is still a lot of it in the tank.

So since that did not work, how do I get rid of it.  I really thought it would work. I have read a lot of posts and reviews that say it does. But it sure didn't work for me.  And now I am afraid to try a cycle with it.

Any thoughts?

Cyanobacteria is caused by organics in the presence of light.  So reducing organics, and controlling light, is the way to deal with it.

I wouldnever use chemicals to deal with natural problems.  Cyanobacteria as the name implies is a bacteria.  Any product that kills bacteria is obviuosly a risk.  You don't have fish in this tank, but the "good" bacteria are not likely to be exempt from a product that kills "bacteria."

Byron.

Yeah, that makes sense. I feel rather stupid right now.   But I would never have used it if it had not said that it would not harm the bacterial colony.   And it obviously does not work.  Or it sure didn't work for me

julielynn47 said:
Yeah, that makes sense. I feel rather stupid right now.   But I would never have used it if it had not said that it would not harm the bacterial colony.   And it obviously does not work.  Or it sure didn't work for me

That is commonly the case with "miracle cures," they don't really work, or they contain side effects.  I have battled cyanobacteria a couple of times; once you clean up the organics, it won't come back.

I used this in my 5 gallon when it got covered. Mine didnt melt away like I thought it would. It just made it quit growing. Once I manually removed it it didn't come back. At the time it seemed not to bother anybody. But my betta eventually passed. Whether it was a cause of it or not I dont know as there were other things going on with the tank too. I have the cyanobacteria in my 20 gallon tetra tank and I'm trying to just do manual removal and see where I get.

It did not even stop it from growing.  It seems to have fertilized it instead.   I mean, maybe this is some other type of algae, I am not sure.  What I am seeing now does not look the way it once did. It is not actually bluegreen, it is more , for lack of a better word, flowing.  Just flowing in the current.   So maybe it is not the same thing. I don't know. But if it is the same thing, then stuff did not work at all. 

I am going to do some research and see if maybe it is a different type that is now in there.  I have no living inhabitants in there so I didn't have to worry about that part. 

I have been looking at aquarium algaes and I think it might be hair algae instead.  It does look different from what it looked before.  It is growing off the gravel and blowing around in the flow of the water. It is not bluegreen just carpeting everything. So maybe the stuff did work after all

I used this and it disappeared with no problems at all.that's a shame because I thought it was excellent.
I hate using anything chemical but I had literally tried everything.

I don't know that it caused the cycle to end.  It said it didn't effect the beneficial bacteria at all.  But, what I think might have happened, was the spike in ammonia from it dying off overloaded the cycle.   Because I read that if you add too much ammonia it can stall the cycle. That is my only guess

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back