Cw10 Gold Laser Cory

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hf21

Reaction score
Hi all,
Finding contradicting info regarding the cw10 gold lasers. Are they suitable for hard water? Eg tds about 320ppm? My bronze are thriving but some reports say cw10 will be fine others saying they actually prefer softer water. Has anyone had any experience I have the chance to get some but due to price I dont want to blow the money and end up losing them due to hard water. Ph about 7.8 btw.

I would keep TDS and GH separate in your thinking. TDS (total dissolved solids) might be high in a sediment-rich river such as the Rio Ucayali where this species occurs in Peru, but the GH (primarily the minerals calcium and magnesium) is the crucial factor. This river is very soft in terms of GH, and I believe it has a slightly acidic pH (I would have to dig out my data to confirm) but that really isn't as important.

All Corydoras species occur in soft to very soft water. However, there are a very few that are also found in slightly higher GH and pH, and C. aeneus (Bronze Cory) is one of them. This is due to its natural geographic range. Widely distributed on the eastern side of the Andes range in South America, with records from every country except Chile; it is also native on Trinidad. Species that are found over such wide areas, almost the entire continent, obviously live in varying water parameters to some degree, and thus show more adaptability. Corydoras 010 on the other hand is much more restricted in its range.

I would keep TDS and GH separate in your thinking. TDS (total dissolved solids) might be high in a sediment-rich river such as the Rio Ucayali where this species occurs in Peru, but the GH (primarily the minerals calcium and magnesium) is the crucial factor. This river is very soft in terms of GH, and I believe it has a slightly acidic pH (I would have to dig out my data to confirm) but that really isn't as important.

All Corydoras species occur in soft to very soft water. However, there are a very few that are also found in slightly higher GH and pH, and C. aeneus (Bronze Cory) is one of them. This is due to its natural geographic range. Widely distributed on the eastern side of the Andes range in South America, with records from every country except Chile; it is also native on Trinidad. Species that are found over such wide areas, almost the entire continent, obviously live in varying water parameters to some degree, and thus show more adaptability. Corydoras 010 on the other hand is much more restricted in its range.

Thank you so much for the reply and info I love learning off people with so much knowledge. Would it be different if the cw10 where tank bred in the local area rather than wild caught? Or is the tank bred statement just a myth for making them more hardier to different water parameters.

Thank you so much for the reply and info I love learning off people with so much knowledge. Would it be different if the cw10 where tank bred in the local area rather than wild caught? Or is the tank bred statement just a myth for making them more hardier to different water parameters.

Some species do seem to have a wider tolerance than other species, but there is usually a limit to just how far the species can go. Many in this hobby assume that if the fish don't die within days, everything must be good, but that is not the case. Fish that are forced into conditions that are not what they have evolved to expect and need can often survive for a time at least but that is far different from thriving. Even if they spawn there can still be problems affecting them that we cannot see externally.

You haven't given the GH of your water and that is the crucial parameter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back