Cuttlefish!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

djbrandon123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
after consideration i thought i would start my first marine setup with dwarf cuttlefish is this ok

Jumping in at the deep end a bit with that, even for marine! Cephalopods are considered pretty tricky as far as setting up a safe tank that can handle inking and doesn't have any danger spots where tentacles can get ensnared. Some are also light-sensitive and need special arrangements in that regard; I don't know whether any cuttles fall in that category. Many Cephalopods also don't live that long in general, so unless you either establish a breeding population or have an ongoing source of them, you may have none left a year later (or sooner depending on the age of collection). I haven't kept Cephalopods myself, but what I've read of others' experiences with them leads me to recommend against it as a first marine tank. For the sake of the animals' well-being, it's better to try something easy and well-documented first.

Jumping in at the deep end a bit with that, even for marine! Cephalopods are considered pretty tricky as far as setting up a safe tank that can handle inking and doesn't have any danger spots where tentacles can get ensnared. Some are also light-sensitive and need special arrangements in that regard; I don't know whether any cuttles fall in that category. Many Cephalopods also don't live that long in general, so unless you either establish a breeding population or have an ongoing source of them, you may have none left a year later (or sooner depending on the age of collection). I haven't kept Cephalopods myself, but what I've read of others' experiences with them leads me to recommend against it as a first marine tank. For the sake of the animals' well-being, it's better to try something easy and well-documented first.
+1 to this.

I was thinking about an octopus when I was pretty new in the hobby, and decided against it for 2 reasons:
1. they are not easy to keep alive, with many special requirements
2. they don't live long at all, with a lifespan of a year being rare.

I'd try something else to start, then if your heart is still set on it, try them after you have some experience under your belt.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back