Cute little pains in the patella🤣

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SomethingsFishy24

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Oy, I may have done something bad. Soooo, the 45 gallon tank that I bought to replace a leaky hospital tank...well, it is not that anymore, I lied. It is going to be home to these little buggers. I resiliconed the old tank a week after I bought the new one, pulled a fast one on Hubs and am adding further to my MTS.🤣 It is my "fun money", I do what I want! 🤣 He thinks they are cute too, win-win. Meet 14 of the cutest little Dwarf rainbows you'll ever see.

Attachments

• 20220422_152611.jpg
    20220422_152611.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 49
When you say dwarf rainbows, do you know what species they are?

They appear to have lines running along their body and that would suggest they are not Melanotaenia praecox but maybe M. maccullochi or sexlineata.

The fish at the top of the picture looks like it has clamped fins. Watch them for external protozoan infections that can appears as cream, white or grey patches on the body and head. Rubbing on things is another symptom of external protozoan infections.

Salt will treat most external protozoan parasites. Use 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt (aquarium salt) for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. Keep salt in there for 2-4 weeks.

The following link has all the known species of rainbowfish from Australia and New Guinea.

When you say dwarf rainbows, do you know what species they are?

They appear to have lines running along their body and that would suggest they are not Melanotaenia praecox but maybe M. maccullochi or sexlineata.

The fish at the top of the picture looks like it has clamped fins. Watch them for external protozoan infections that can appears as cream, white or grey patches on the body and head. Rubbing on things is another symptom of external protozoan infections.

Salt will treat most external protozoan parasites. Use 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt (aquarium salt) for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. Keep salt in there for 2-4 weeks.

The following link has all the known species of rainbowfish from Australia and New Guinea.
They are juvenile Praecox, or at least that is what they are supposed to be. They don't have a lot of color other than orange or yellow fins. You can catch a faint shimmer but my phone sucks picking any of that up.

These guys were newly acclimated to QT when I snapped the picture so they were still a little upset about the ride. They looked a little fin nipped but haven't seen any signs of fin rot, spots or flashing/rubbing. I dropped some floating plants in their box to help them feel a little more at home. I usually keep small fish like these in the box for a few days so I can make sure everyone eats and looks good before giving them full run of Qt.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back