Culling mixed neocaridina shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

gksch

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a tank with mixed neocaridina shrimp. I know most people donā€™t like when they are mixed, but for me itā€™s not about breeding them, itā€™s about having several different colors in the same tank, I find that so much fun. I have seen though that several of the babies are brown or clear, while some are colored.
My question is, do you cull the brown ones in a mixed shrimp tank or you leave them to reproduce still?
I went ahead today and captured several of the brown ones, but I know that they will continue to show up.
Also, any better way to capture them? The net is not the fastest way!

Thank you all!

Brown is the wild type and after a few generations you will have mostly brown shrimp - with only the occasional coloured ones. Your choice what to do about it. When I want to catch some I siphon them into a bucket or a net. Much easier than chasing them with a net.

Yeah, Iā€™m catching them. I just made a trap with a 5mL acrylic tube. I made two small holes in it and placed a pellet inside. They are all trying to get in. I made the holes quite small so the adults wonā€™t be trapped. I think this will be much easier than a net! Iā€™ll just start culling them as I go.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back