Crystal Red Shrimp With Crystal Black Shrimp

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mooey65

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Iv got some CRS and some CBS, When I got them the woman I got them from called them all black bee shrimp.
Am breeding these am the minute along with cherry red and green shrimp.
Am just unsure if the CRS and CBS will cross breed and if so what will the babes be?

yes the cbs and crs will cross breed. i would keep them seperate personally. you will find it much easier to sell crs or cbs if you breed them seperately.
the crs comes from the cbs. some guy bred thousands of cbs and found a few crs in amongst the off spring. these few crs were then bred selectively producing the crs we have now

They are the same species so yes they will breed together as Craftycaper says. The black genes are dominant so if you cross a CBS with a CRS then the babies will be black, if you cross the babies with a CRS again the babies have the red gene so you would get some CRS from that mix. It also seems that CBS/CRS cross gives some brown and whites though I don't think that happens in the first generation.

Got a new tank now thanks guy's making me spend more money. :blush:

Nope I would of got it off freecycle :). Any shrimp with the same starting latin name will hybridise i.e. any cardinia with any other cardinia species. Names can be found here and CBS and CRS are just colour morphs of bee shrimp that have then been heavily inbred so are very sensitive to water quality.

Nope I would of got it off freecycle :). Any shrimp with the same starting latin name will hybridise i.e. any cardinia with any other cardinia species. Names can be found here and CBS and CRS are just colour morphs of bee shrimp that have then been heavily inbred so are very sensitive to water quality.

:crazy: so iv got inbred shrimp can I make the next lot of shrimp less inbred if you get me?

Inbreeding isn't a real problem and its the reason why CRS look like this

Crystal%20Red%20Shrimp.jpg

instead of this

beeshrimp4.jpg

You can add new blood to the lines some people try and get a higher grade CRS or CBS by adding golden bee shrimp to the tank which are all white bee shrimp.

That second pic is what my cbs and crs look like not like the top pic?

The second pic is a wild bee shrimp through selective breeding these colours have been developed and the amount of colour shown then distinguishes the grade of the shrimp which commands the placement in price. The CRS in the image are particularly high grade samples that would cost around £100 for one shrimp so I am not surprised yours don't look the same.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back