Cryptocoryne

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Chappers15

Reaction score
Hi so I added some Cryptocoryne to my tank 2 days ago and they’ve just gone a bit weird and seem to be dying.

I know it’s early days but I want to sort any problems ASAP.

thanks
21A082CA-C0D4-4BE1-90F5-9F1287F14874.jpeg
2B15C5E4-2118-4C74-A880-DCA86777F824.jpeg

Yep, google "crypt melt" and you'll see its something to be expected :good:

When you get Cryptocorynes, check the rhizome for soft squishy black areas. These are rotten bits and need to be removed so the rot doesn't spread and kill the plant. You can use a sharp knife to do this.

The reason most Crypts die back straight after being put in an aquarium is due to them being grown hydroponically. The roots are in a damp medium and the leaves are dry. When you stick them underwater, the terrestrial leaves rot and get replaced by aquatic leaves.

Crypts also suffer from transplant shock and this can be caused by a sudden change in temperature, pH or GH. And they can burn if kept in a hot car on the way home from the shop. Basically if the bag gets too hot, the plants steam in the plastic bag and die shortly after being put in the aquarium.

Too large a water change even after they are established can get C.wendtii to melt. I had large growths in the past melt with a water change...and came right back.
Somehow this time around I've avoided large die off of leaves.

A large change as a one off may do this if it changes the water parameters. Regular large water changes are fine. I have c.wendtii in 3 tanks which all get 75% weekly changes. I have never observed melt in these.

Yes,its the sudden drastic change. Most plants don't like it,but Crypts have that peculiar way of showing it.
With plants,you can only exhale relief when you see new growth on your new plants.

Most reactions

Back