Cryptocoryne Lutea and Vallisneria

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I have a zebra nerite and one of those called red onion or racing track nerites. I bought them both in July 2011. I find it incredible that snails can live this long. Their shells are very much showing their age but they are still alive and munching algae. I also have a yellow and black striped nerite bought in December 2013, and a grey one with white speckles bought in December 2014. The last one is in my betta's tank and has tufts of algae growing on its shell.

But I have also had snails die for no apparent reason much younger than these.

Word of warning - they can and do lay sesame seed-like eggs which never hatch. They can be scraped off hard things like the tank walls and rocks but they are virtually impossible to remove from wood. I used to have three of the grey ones, and one would lay eggs like there was no tomorrow. I had to separate it from the other two in the end, that stopped it laying eggs.

I went to the LFS and Petco today, all they had was Apple/Mystery snails. I had to special order the Nerites. They said they do not normally carry them.

yup i normally order my nerites as well. Keep copper and salt to a minimum to none and they should be fine. Good luck with them!

So far I have not had to add any chemicals to my tanks but will be adding some root tabs soon. Thanks

Seachem's Flourish Tabs are better by far than the API brand. There are undoubtedly others, in Europe/UK anyway, but thinking you are in NA the Seachem is your best bet. They release nutrients directly to the plant roots but not into the upper water column so they have no fish or algae issues. I've been using them for a decade now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back