Cryptic/aphotic Zone

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mr Miagi

Veins are flowing with SW, now going back to FW!
Reaction score
Now the cryptic refugium is painted black on three sides, has the bottom covered with sand, the top covered with plywood, and a plywood cover on the front. The only time a light is turned on over it is when he is checking everything out. I think it basically just has a bunch of live rock in it with livestock that requires no light such as sponges. It is just a refugium for different beneficial creatures that either don't live with or don't like light.

Who knows or is interested in this idea. Ive qouted crazyelece here from a post she made in a diferent forum. Ive started hearing about this new method of filtration. Im keen to hear about anyones experiences or results with such a system.

It basically provides surface areas to aphotic animals that dont require light to gain food (non-photosynthetic organisms) like sponges, who constantly filter the water, removing organic particles.

Thoughts? Discussion?

Check out this Video Site and run the first video on the list. Talks about making a sump with a benthic zone like you guys are talking about :)

LOL, thats the website you posted a while ago I think. Ive watched all those vids, and thats where I got the idea to research it further. :D Already seen it! LOL :good:

LOL, thats the website you posted a while ago I think. Ive watched all those vids, and thats where I got the idea to research it further. :D Already seen it! LOL :good:

Heh, did I? Well I got it from Matthew664 so he gets the credit for finding it originally, not me. One of these days I'll have to go up there and say hi to all those canadians that made that site. Just a couple hours drive from me :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back