Crunchy Food For Juvie Fahaka

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

silverrabbit

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hallo :)

So, my ickle fahaka Peewee isn't so little anymore as he's grown 2 inches already (had him a little over a month). Obviously he's still "baby" sized at about 5 inches inc tail, and i'm not sure what good crunchy foods he can have at this size. ATM he gets (pre soaked in vitamins) mussel, cockles (no shell), mysis shrimp, occasional krill, bloodworms, glass worms and ramshorn snails... which tbh i'm not sure he's eating as they seem to be breeding better in his tank than in the breeding tank :rolleyes:

Reckon he could manage to have a nibble on cockle in shell if I opened them up a bit? Just concerned because he seems to ignore the snails most of the time. Or is there anything else I could try? :unsure:

Do try also woodlice and small pond snails such as Physa species. Assuming this pufferfish is being kept alone, then leave him with the snails until he eats them. If it takes a week of "starving" before he does so, that's his problem, not yours.

Cheers, Neale

Thanks for the quick reply :) yes he's alone. I think I need to buy some pond snail-infested plants, unless these are also called "bladder snails" which i've seen on ebay.

Can you buy woodlice so they're nice and "clean" and disease free? :unsure:

Poor Peewee won't know what's hit him when his dinner doesn't arrive for a few days :lol: My Abei is pretty good about snails, but my Palambang won't touch them either

Can you buy woodlice so they're nice and "clean" and disease free? :unsure:
If you have an "organic" garden where you don't use pesticide sprays, you can collect your own. Apart from manmade toxins, terrestrial prey animals should be 100% risk free in terms of parasites.

Poor Peewee won't know what's hit him when his dinner doesn't arrive for a few days
He'll figure it out. If he's hungry and there's snails in his tank, he'll put 2 and 2 together.

Cheers, Neale

Thanks :) yeah i'm sure he won't starve, he's in good shape.

Gonna have to go and look under bricks and logs in the garden now, haven't seen woodlice for ages.

Most reactions

Back