Cross Breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've looked around on the 'net for info about the possibility of cross breeding within a mbuna community. All I have found are vague references to not keeping too many of the same species in the tank at the same time. Does this mean that I should only keep one type of psuedotropheus, one type of labidochromis, one type of maylandia etc. or can they cross regardless of species?

Cheers,

WK

just about any mbuna can cross breed i had a melanochromis cross with a pseudotropheus but this may have been due to the fact there was no male melanochromis in the tank.

The idea is to keep species that look different if we can tell the difference so can the fish but there is always a risk.

I've looked around on the 'net for info about the possibility of cross breeding within a mbuna community. All I have found are vague references to not keeping too many of the same species in the tank at the same time. Does this mean that I should only keep one type of psuedotropheus, one type of labidochromis, one type of maylandia etc. or can they cross regardless of species?

Cheers,

WK

Hi there Waterloo Kid,

The reasons for cross breeding in the mbuna community can be accounted for by a few different reasons...

All Male Mbuna WILL try and Spawn, if there are females of his own species in the tank, then he will highly likely only spawn with these, if however, there are not any females of his own species he will try and spawn with something, typically a female of either the same genus or that of a female that is similar to a female of his own species or failing that, just a plain old female... this also depends upon his position in the tank, if he is the alpha male then it is unlikely that any fish will try and stop him from breeding with the females of another species..

At the end of the day every mbuna malawi has the POTENTIAL to cross breed, but as our job of responsible fish keepers, we should always try and minimise that risk...

You could play safe and only keep one of each genus, but that is not a cast iron guarantee that cross breeding will not occur, the best way is to either go for a male only tank (like Ferris) or by providing each male in the tank with his own harem (afterall if you only provide one female of a species) when she is holding the male may wish to try and spawn again and find another female to do so)

I have a mixture of fish and yes, some cross breeding does occur, but i accept that thisd is the risk of putting so many fish types together, and i can guarantee that if i leave the holding fish in the main tank that no hybrid fry will be allowed to grow as they are quickly eaten by all the adult mbuna in the tank anyway..

I hope this post clarifies some things for you :good:

Any questions, just ask and i'd be happy to comment further on my own experiences,

Dru.

Super, thanks guys.

I'm new to this African lark so I'm doing the research before I tear my existing tank down.

Expect a big post with the general line of 'this is what i want to do, is it OK?' in the near future.

WK

I'm new to this African lark so I'm doing the research before I tear my existing tank down.
:good:

Theres plenty of research out there dont worry about the stocking yet just read up on tank,water and behavior.

Just a couple of pointers you will need at least a 48" tank you could get away with a 36" but the longer the better water needs to be around the ph8 mark but dont worry if your at about 7+ you can alter it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back