Cross Breed Gollies!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sub42

Reaction score
My Molly mommy has dropped about ten very odd looking babies. Now, they are not pure mollies, thats for sure! I know that its not impossible for gups and mols to cross breed, but what can I expect? Is it better to stand guard and get rid, or will they be ok? They are really cute! Very dark silver at the moment. Just starting to get gup colours, but they almost look like mollies with long thin bodies!

They just aren't gups or mols. What should I do? Apart from remove the male gup thats always chasing the molly mummy. Help! S42.

sub42 said:
Now, they are not pure mollies, thats for sure! I know that its not impossible for gups and mols to cross breed,
Sorry, but it is Impossible for Mollies To Crossbreed with anything.

I don't now about this impossible thing. I have an adolescent male guppy and it is always chasing around (and "poking") my female Baloon molly. I am interested to see the results. :look:

There wont be any results, because its impossible for them to crossbreed.

My mollies try it on with everything and anything!

those are just babie mollies. theyre not 1/2 and 1/2. All fry a think when they are born.

And, the supposed "guppy color" is just the color of the dad of the fry. Who is a molly. you minght not have a male though, but females store sperm, so she was probly already pregnate when you bought her.

From my understanding, Mollies and Guppies CAN breed....never been able to find "actual" proof, but it's possible. Just like Platies and Swordtails can cross.

If you could get a picture once they get a bit bigger, I would LOVE to see it. :)

Looks, ive said this so many times now in different threads its getting boring!! Mollies and Guppies CANNOT!!! Crossbreed with each other!!!!

Your right about the swords and platies tho!

i agree 100 percent with devil advocate. so many people think its possible but it just isnt! Guppies and mollies are so diffrent from eachother! I think there should be a pinned topica about how they cannot crossbread so everyone will know it.

wrs said:
Guppies and mollies are so different from each other!
Donkeys and Zebras are very different too.. but there are such things as Zedonks.
Lions and Tigers - Lygers
Rabbits and Guinea pigs - Ravies

I have no doubt that a Molly/Guppy crossbreed is possible occasionally, although I would expect the offspring to be sterile.

/edit.. Found some information. It is possible and has been done, both with natural and artificial insemination. and the result is called a 'Gulpy' and is, as I thought, usually sterile... but not always!

This hybridisation apparently even happens in the wild in the few places where Mollies & Guppies share a biotope.

This information is confirmed in the book 'Guppies' by Axelrod and Whitern and published by TFH (ISBN: 0876660820)

...and I think 'Gollies' is a much better name than 'Gulpies' ;)

It is possiable for mollies to crossbreed. Ive seen it done with Mollies and swordtails. My friend used two female mollies and one Male Swordtail. The Mollies were dark black and the swordtail was bright orange and the fry were a mixture of both. :thumbs: Guppies and Mollies idk ive never seen or heard of this.

lol, the mollys father could have been orange.

I've been researching a little more, and it seems that mollies are happy to succesfully breed with all members of the Poecilia family, including Guppies.

yea My old Guppy population( around 500 before I dropped a bisquit in there thinking they were hungry...i was five) They were mostly common feeder guppies but i would drop in afancy females in every no-and-then to keep them from in-breeding. but then I took that fancy-common hybrid and mixed it with my mesquito fish outside. so i had pearly blue guppies with a beutiful tail...Well I went one step further9and no more since they were all sterile) I crossed them with an edler. So I kinda had a SUPER guppy(well before the yeast destroyed them) :sad: :crazy: :sad: :byebye: :-(

DevilsAdvocate said:
Looks, ive said this so many times now in different threads its getting boring!! Mollies and Guppies CANNOT!!! Crossbreed with each other!!!!

Your right about the swords and platies tho!
See, now this kind of response is EXACTLY why I don't post here too often. If you have told so many people this, then maybe you should consider pinning it as a MUST READ.

And you already been proven wrong, so I think you should at least apologize. If not directly to me, then to the other people who have listened to you and believed what you have to say.

I apologize to everyone else on this board for my outburst.

Most reactions

trending

Back