Crooked spine on a guppy...

FlareBettaGuy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I got three male guppies in a two gallon tank. One has a crooked spine. His spine area is slightly bent downward. He's also a bit fat on his tummy area. Could this guppy be a pregnant female or something? He swims fine, and is eating. Also just as active as the other two. But this one sometimes wanders around alone. And likes to swim on the gravel. This one has white eyes with a back pupil. And his tail is colorful. Please help me determine the gender and the cause and cure for the crooked spine. Thanks!

I've seen guppies go crooked due to shock or stress, maybe he was hit with a blast of cold water? Or maybe he's just extremely inbred.

Is the tail the same size as the others? It should not be too hard to tell the difference between a male and female guppy.

I have a female half black guppy who's spine is bent, she's pregnant too. Because the spine is bent it makes her look fat all of the time, so its hard to tell how big she really is, but it sounds like yours probably is a male with his spine bent even though I haven't seen him. Your other males might be "courting" your fish if it were female :p ... I have read that crooked spines can be caused by poor nutrition for ex. and since he's swimming and eating fine he'll probably be ok... I don't think there is a cure. :no:

:fish:

yup i had a female she had gven birth then her spine went like that, then a week la ter mine died too, sorry :( :( :( :( :(

Mine are not THAT bent, just very slightly. So slightly that it doesn't seem to make a difference in their life. They occationally bump into each other on purpose and tackle each other lightly. And yet they usually swim together. Enemy friends??

flare here is how i see whether the guppy is going to die or not.... the back bent is ok, BUT if you see it bent even more AND you see its swimming is kind of stiff compared to others..... then looks like there is no way to help it.... the problemed guppy will have a slower agility as well as basic body manuover, this is all because the spine is crooked and stiffed.... you can tell if you observe it longer. this usually with females who just borned babies... if's a male.... i never seen it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back