crickets

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thomas A. Anderson

Fish Herder
Reaction score
With spring upon us, I normally have quite a few grasshoppers in the garden, would these be ok to feed to insectivores or butterfly fish, cichlids etc.

Also, the ones (normally crickets) that they sell in the pet stores, how long do they last for in the plastic containers that they come in?

Other more experienced peeps may advise you otherwise TAA. Alarm bells would ring if it were me. Firstly grasshoppers and crickets are not a fishes natural food source. Secondly they may be comtaminated by pesticides that they have become resistant to but your fish have not. Thirdly, you would need to rip their hind legs off because they contain barbs that could potentially kill your fish by choking them. Only a thought.
As to the crickets in plastic containers. They only have sufficient moisture and food to last a few days. They are really for amphib. and reptile use only. Again how often do you see a fish chase after a cricket!!!!
Again only a thought.

OOOPS Ive been know o feed a grasshopper or two to my cichlids they love em. but not anymore. They also like the little white spiders that live in my house :lol: :lol: :lol:

so I would assume that the ones that are sold in pet stores are legless (sorry)

And Matt, I don't know you personally, just from other fishy forums.

I have fed my fish crickets on numerous occasions without problems,surface dwellers such as Archerfish Butterflies Panchax sp and Arrowanas love them.I wouldnt use the ones from the garden but only because they are starting to become rare now (the common green cricket is on the endangered list :-( ) but the ones from shops are fine,to keep them alive a bit longer feed them with pieces of fruit this also passes vitamins on to your fish when they eat them.

P.S make sure you get crickets that are the right size for your fish as they come in 4 sizes,small and medium will do most fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back