Cream In Tank, Issue?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Does the OP have chlorine or chloramine in their tap water?
If you only have chlorine, you can fill a bucket with water, put it out in the sun and aerate it vigorously for an hour to remove most if not all of the chlorine.

Chloramine needs a dechlorinator.

--------------------
If the fish are gasping at the surface, there is not enough oxygen in the water or something is affecting their gills preventing them from being able to get oxygen from the water. If there is something in the water affecting their gills, all the aeration in the world won't help.

Aquarium test kits only test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH & KH. Any other chemicals in the water won't be picked up by aquarium test kits so your water might look alright on a fish test kit, but if fish are gasping at the surface, there is a problem.

Water changes and carbon are the quickest and best solution to poisoning in fish tanks.
Hi Collin, sorry for not getting back to you. I'm not sure if my source water has chrloine or chlroamine in the tap water. And also, my fish aren't gasping but they are near the surface, and don't have rapid gill breathing. And they are lethargic. Is it poisoning? Or irritation? And one of my mollies has a tail nip, can he get tail rot from this?! And also, another question, Once I do a water change later, since that's when the conditioner comes, will my fish have permanent damage from this?

As a future prevention of problems, especially if using creams or any medication applied to the arms, you can easily get shoulder length disposable plastic gloves (as used by vets to do internal exams on horses and cattle). Amazon, eBay etc usually sell them and they are very inexpensive to buy

They will prevent any accidental contamination in the aquarium in future

Does the OP have chlorine or chloramine in their tap water?
If you only have chlorine, you can fill a bucket with water, put it out in the sun and aerate it vigorously for an hour to remove most if not all of the chlorine.

Chloramine needs a dechlorinator.

--------------------
If the fish are gasping at the surface, there is not enough oxygen in the water or something is affecting their gills preventing them from being able to get oxygen from the water. If there is something in the water affecting their gills, all the aeration in the world won't help.

Aquarium test kits only test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH & KH. Any other chemicals in the water won't be picked up by aquarium test kits so your water might look alright on a fish test kit, but if fish are gasping at the surface, there is a problem.

Water changes and carbon are the quickest and best solution to poisoning in fish tanks.
Hello Collin, sorry fo
As a future prevention of problems, especially if using creams or any medication applied to the arms, you can easily get shoulder length disposable plastic gloves (as used by vets to do internal exams on horses and cattle). Amazon, eBay etc usually sell them and they are very inexpensive to buy

They will prevent any accidental contamination in the aquarium in future
Yeah, am gonna do that. And also, people were cleaning the floor near my tank. And there were some chemicals applied to the floor, and it was below my tank's stand, can it affect my fish?

It really depends on the chemicals being used and if they are toxic...including fume toxicity.

Some cleaning agents can be very toxic in their fumes which can potentially be drawn into an aquarium...granted it doesn't happen often but a read of the chemical type and make-up would not go amiss, then if in doubt, Google them and check or better still, request that those specific cleaning agents are not used anywhere near the aquariums

It really depends on the chemicals being used and if they are toxic...including fume toxicity.

Some cleaning agents can be very toxic in their fumes which can potentially be drawn into an aquarium...granted it doesn't happen often but a read of the chemical type and make-up would not go amiss, then if in doubt, Google them and check or better still, request that those specific cleaning agents are not used anywhere near the aquariums
What are example of some the very toxic cleaning agents

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back