Cream In Tank, Issue?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CT 501

Reaction score
Hi, I had a question i had cetaphil on my left arm and i put my left arm in my tank, although i washed my hand but not my entire arm, and i put half of my arm in the tank. Can anything happen? I'm noticing fish distressed but no rapid breathing but they "bite" the surface. But water parameters are the same Also, is that cetaphil harmful?

Hi, I had a question i had cetaphil on my left arm and i put my left arm in my tank, although i washed my hand but not my entire arm, and i put half of my arm in the tank. Can anything happen? I'm noticing fish distressed but no rapid breathing but they "bite" the surface. But water parameters are the same Also, is that cetaphil harmful?
I would do a large water change.

Any contamination like that can be harmful, yes, especially since you're seeing signs of distress in the fish. It's an emergency, large water change situation. How much water do you usually change, how often?

Any contamination like that can be harmful, yes, especially since you're seeing signs of distress in the fish. It's an emergency, large water change situation. How much water do you usually change, how often?
How is it contamnation? Also, I dont have water conditioner to do water changes and the conditioner comes Thursday. And I don't have a nearby pet store. Can they get permanent damage in 3-4 days from this?!

con·tam·i·na·tion
-the action or state of making or being made impure by polluting or poisoning.

the cetaphil does not belong in the tank hence its contamination.
If you are already seeing the effects of the pollution, you should try to think of ways to get some water conditioner. Are you sure you dont have a pet store anywhere near you?

How is it contamnation? Also, I dont have water conditioner to do water changes and the conditioner comes Thursday. And I don't have a nearby pet store. Can they get permanent damage in 3-4 days from this?!
Contamination as in something getting into the tank that shouldn't be in there, and that could have an effect on the fish. I have no idea what the ingredients are in that cream and I'm not a chemist or biologist either, so I cannot tell you whether it's likely to affect or kill your fish I'm afraid, but anything like perfumes/creams/moisturiser/air freshener contaminating the water has the potential to contain something that could harm the fish. A friend of mine lost most of her stock from her 55g tank when her little boy put his fingers in the tank to play with the fish after they'd been out and used hand sanitiser on his hands. Complete accident, very small amount of the product diluted into a large tank, but it caused bleeding in the brain and killed most of her fish. :(

Do you usually do water changes? Because if it's not typical for you to do large-ish water changes often, then large water changes can be dangerous too. No judgement either way, promise, just want to see what a typical water change routine is in order to know the best next steps. When was the last time they had a water change? If it's been a while or infequent, then smaller, staggered changes might be needed. If the fish get worse though, then we'd have to consider risking large changes anyhow... it's a tricky situation, but yes, it's a real risk.

I hope OP comes back soon, this is an emergency and pretty worrying since fish are distressed and gasping at the surface... :(

Contamination as in something getting into the tank that shouldn't be in there, and that could have an effect on the fish. I have no idea what the ingredients are in that cream and I'm not a chemist or biologist either, so I cannot tell you whether it's likely to affect or kill your fish I'm afraid, but anything like perfumes/creams/moisturiser/air freshener contaminating the water has the potential to contain something that could harm the fish. A friend of mine lost most of her stock from her 55g tank when her little boy put his fingers in the tank to play with the fish after they'd been out and used hand sanitiser on his hands. Complete accident, very small amount of the product diluted into a large tank, but it caused bleeding in the brain and killed most of her fish. :(

Do you usually do water changes? Because if it's not typical for you to do large-ish water changes often, then large water changes can be dangerous too. No judgement either way, promise, just want to see what a typical water change routine is in order to know the best next steps. When was the last time they had a water change? If it's been a while or infequent, then smaller, staggered changes might be needed. If the fish get worse though, then we'd have to consider risking large changes anyhow... it's a tricky situation, but yes, it's a real risk.
1. First of all, I can show you the ingredients, I have provided a picture below of the ingredients.
2.The behavior I am seeing in my fish is that, they are behaving lethargic and also, my molly has a nipped tail, can he get tail rot from the oxygen levels getting depleted or no? My water quality is good though, but oxygen seems to be decreased, can my molly get tail rot from this?
3.Yes, I usually do water changes, last large water change was done 4 days ago.
4. Can you please answer in this question format? By numbering it?

if you can't do a water change due to no dechlorinator, try to add some carbon to the filter and increase aeration.
I have a sponge filter which is pumping oxygen, is that enough?

1. First of all, I can show you the ingredients, I have provided a picture below of the ingredients.
2.The behavior I am seeing in my fish is that, they are behaving lethargic and also, my molly has a nipped tail, can he get tail rot from the oxygen levels getting depleted or no? My water quality is good though, but oxygen seems to be decreased, can my molly get tail rot from this?
3.Yes, I usually do water changes, last large water change was done 4 days ago.
4. Can you please answer in this question format? By numbering it?

1. Even with an ingredients list, I am not a biochemist, so unable to tell you what effects they may have on your fish. It is just always best to be aware of the risks and if something like this happens, do large water changes to dilute out the contamination. Since you have said your fish have been gasping at the surface, lethargic, and now molly has a tail problem, we can assume that something in that cream has affected the fish.

2. Not from oxygen levels, no. But any damage to the skin or fins is an opportunity for bacterial or fungal infections to take hold. The best way to minimise chances of this happening is again, increased large water changes. If oxygen seems decreased, add an airstone if possible, otherwise, try to increase surface disturbance by adjusting filter output or adding something like an internal filter at the surface line. Surface disturbance allows oxygen exchange with the water.

3. Never great to run out of water conditioner! Can you find out where your closest fish store now is and see if you can get some more before Thursday? Or amazon Prime some other water conditioner to arrive sooner? It's truly an emergency when a tank is contaminated and fish are showing symptoms. I am very concerned that by Thursday, it will be too late. It's bad luck that this happened right after you ran out of water conditioner.

4. Why?

Does the OP have chlorine or chloramine in their tap water?
If you only have chlorine, you can fill a bucket with water, put it out in the sun and aerate it vigorously for an hour to remove most if not all of the chlorine.

Chloramine needs a dechlorinator.

--------------------
If the fish are gasping at the surface, there is not enough oxygen in the water or something is affecting their gills preventing them from being able to get oxygen from the water. If there is something in the water affecting their gills, all the aeration in the world won't help.

Aquarium test kits only test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH & KH. Any other chemicals in the water won't be picked up by aquarium test kits so your water might look alright on a fish test kit, but if fish are gasping at the surface, there is a problem.

Water changes and carbon are the quickest and best solution to poisoning in fish tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back