Crazy Stories Thread

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Well, its 0650 and still no police check on the heavily damaged van outside. Its been absolutely pouring with rain for the last hour so any fingerprints or forensics will be long gone.

Ironic that a part time police station is just 500 yards away but it does not open til 0800

I suspect the police will be waiting for the removal firm to report a van stolen and the part time police station to come to life before any investigations or recovery of the van are started.

Recently a York University study concluded that only one case in fifty ever makes it to court in this county and half of those get dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service once they get to court due to lack of evidence.

We used to have a decent bunch of Bobbies here....but they are becoming very very rare thesedays.

Police have finally arrived to check the van, agreed that it cannot be driven and looks to have been stolen or is a drink driving employee. They are now checking with the owners and are arranging recovery.

So far the company has not reported it stolen but then they do not open til 0900, contact is being made with them.

I have lived in this road for 14 years and the van has never been here before and with the damage done to it the policeman thought it was either stolen or a drink driver who works for the company

I got a thank you for reporting it etc, hopefully it will be gone soon.

Final twist to the van outside.

Owners of the company arrived a short time ago and its one of their drivers who crashed it, he is now under arrest and the boss of the company fired him on the spot. The van is so badly damaged they are writing it off.

Moral of the story? Don't be a jerk and be courteous around sandbanks.
Words to live by.

I envy you--I've always wanted to learn to sail, and there's little opportunity for it here in Wyoming. However, if I may say so, it looks like you wear too much makeup. And I don't think greenish-blue is really your color. :lol:

At the time of this, I was about 11 or 12. So I live in a nice little neighborhood. Everyone is kind (except for my 9 year old neighbor with a baseball bat, a wide vocabulary of curse words, and some anger issues), and nothing very interesting happens. One night, at around ten, I hear a scream. Coming from my friend’s house.
I thought it was someone saying “it’s a burglar!” My mom jumped up and ran outside. I was terrified. I just froze and closed my eyes and tried to steady my breathing.
A few minutes later the front door opened. Very, very slowly. I heard someone walking upstairs. And then the door to my bedroom was opened.

It was my mom. She came into my room and told me what really happened.
So I was wrong, no one yelled “it’s a burglar!” Someone yelled “get away from her!”
I don’t know the full story, but I do know the person being yelled at was my friend’s father, because apparently he’s an alcoholic. I don’t know who he was told to get away from. He and his wife got divorced after that, and he was kicked out.
Sometimes I see him when he visits them. He used to be so happy and nice and healthy. Now he’s so skinny and frail and he walks with a cane. It just makes me sad. But it was so scary at the time.

I don’t know if that was a good story but it’s the only one I have.

At the time of this, I was about 11 or 12. So I live in a nice little neighborhood. Everyone is kind (except for my 9 year old neighbor with a baseball bat, a wide vocabulary of curse words, and some anger issues), and nothing very interesting happens. One night, at around ten, I hear a scream. Coming from my friend’s house.
I thought it was someone saying “it’s a burglar!” My mom jumped up and ran outside. I was terrified. I just froze and closed my eyes and tried to steady my breathing.
A few minutes later the front door opened. Very, very slowly. I heard someone walking upstairs. And then the door to my bedroom was opened.

It was my mom. She came into my room and told me what really happened.
So I was wrong, no one yelled “it’s a burglar!” Someone yelled “get away from her!”
I don’t know the full story, but I do know the person being yelled at was my friend’s father, because apparently he’s an alcoholic. I don’t know who he was told to get away from. He and his wife got divorced after that, and he was kicked out.
Sometimes I see him when he visits them. He used to be so happy and nice and healthy. Now he’s so skinny and frail and he walks with a cane. It just makes me sad. But it was so scary at the time.

I don’t know if that was a good story but it’s the only one I have.
Yikes. Here's another lesson kids. Anything with at least 2 carbons and a hydrogen attached to each carbon in a chain is bad news.

I just thought of another crazy story lol. Unsurprisingly, sailing produces a lot of stories you can tell your friends. Well, in general it isn't that crazy but the outcome and the amount of stress I felt during ordeal was off the charts.

Note: I will be using a lot of sailing jargon and I will try to explain each one but I might miss some so ask me if I do.

So recently, a few weeks ago, my coach took my team out for sailing practice. Due to us being in Toronto and therefore in Canada, we have in general very little wind during the summer. However, during the fall the wind picks up and we receive more wind than the summer(about 50/50 chance of being windy or dead). So, in the mornings I check the weather, and this time I found that it was to be windy, and therefore I was ecstatic. Upon arriving at sailing practice and rigging and etc, we saw that the wind had a nice breeze and we would be able to get some excellent training in.

Fast forward an hour or so, and we're on the water barreling downwind towards the gap out of the harbour(it was like 10-12 knots: about 20 km/h). Now, with spinnakers up(a large sail that you only use on the downwinds), we were able to go a reasonable pace, and on windy days downwinds are really fun but can also be extremely sketchy, especially with spinnaker. Anyway, upon leaving the harbour and entering the outer harbour(if you search up a map you'll see that there's two harbours sort of)(also the wind was coming from the west), we found that it was less windy than we thought it would be. So, we were quite disappointed. However, upon sailing further out into the lake, the wind started to build up, until we could see a very distinct dark line in the water, which indicated wind, and lots of it(this kids, is called foreshadowing). My crew and I were ecstatic to see this, and were wooping with joy. However, we had to wait for the coach to arrive. When he finally got here, we asked him if we could go all the way out into the lake(we were still sheltered by the island as the wind was westerly). He said sure, we would do our drills there. He zoomed off, and me and my crew started going for it. The moment we crossed that line, my crew all of a sudden had to go all perpendicular on the trapeze(basically it's a wire attached to the top of the mast which allows you to stand on the side of the boat to balance it should the wind pick up enough- There'll be a picture at the bottom). Even though they were as far as they could go, I still had to hike(hook my feet into straps and lean over the boat) my butt off and even let sail out. At this point we were rocketing, and now we were able to go at a beam reach(perpendicular to the wind and the fastest way to sail) towards the coach, who was attempting to drop some marks(training buoys) to set a course. The moment I turned, my crew was still on trapeze, and we were still rocketing, but now at mach 1(exaggeration but you get my point). The water was so loud my crew had to scream at the top of her lungs for me to hear her, and the only thing we were saying was "HOLY @$#%!!!!! WHAT THE @#^#$%!!! WHAT THE ACTUAL %$@#^!!!!" We were quite literally jumping waves like a motorcycle would and landing on another. Sailing might be dangerous but when you're going fast it's exhilarating. Anyway, we had to stop by the coach and do the drills.
Here's a picture that the coach took: The waves and wind were bigger than it looks.
1e9306d0-5f86-49ba-8d95-2098116d59c7 copy.JPG

Anyway, fast forward a few drills, and by now we're exhausted. It may have been 10 degrees out but to me(wearing multiple cozy layers of wetsuits and a splash guard) it was cozy, aside from my extremities. Anyway, I had switched partners(odd number), and although I should have been warm, I was really getting cold, and my hands were dying. Anyway, I decided to ask the coach if I could switch. He said sure. Then I got into the coach boat and the partner went with someone else. The wind was by now 15-17 gusting 20 knots(40 km/h), and this was about our limit. At this time, somebody capsized. This is a normal occurrence, and is quite easily remedied most of the time. However, this time it was windy, cold(you don't understand how bad the water was), and wavy. The two people, with a cumulative weight of about 220 pounds(the overall weight of people on the boat is supposed to be 240 pounds), were both suffering. One of them is known to be extremely bad under pressure(I can confirm), and the other really doesn't like sailing with her. However, in this case they were amicable. With the help of the coach, they managed to right the boat halfway. Now, normally one person would stand on the centreboard(imagine my profile picture but the boat is sideways[Yes that's me]) and prepare to pull the boat up while somebody sat inside the boat and prepared to balance the boat when it came over. However, this time something strange happened, and the centreboard person fell of or something, and the boat turtle again, and the girl inside was dragged under and came up the other side. Understandably, she was traumatized by this. When we pulled her out of the water she was shaking and crying. However, when the coach tried to get the other girl out of the water, he accidentally rammed the boat, and the metal hook on the bow of his boat hit the fibreglass hull and put a hole in it. So now not only wa there a capsized boat with two traumatized sailors, there was also a hole in said boat. At this point he gave up and said ok, Tacocat(obviously not using real name), I'm going to right this boat by myself(he could easily do this he had been training in the boat for over 15 years), and once I'm up and running you're going to drive over to the other people(I forgot to mention he sent them to go home earlier when the boat turtled). Anyway, we're sitting there for a while, and he's trying endlessly to right the boat. eventually, the girl who got dragged under decided to help him ,and then they succeeded.

So me and the other girl race over to find the other people waiting by the gap, only to find somebody's head hurts. At this point I want them to go into the gap and go home, but they want to wait for the coach and the other girl. I can't make them move, so waiting it is. When they finally arrive, the coach wanted me to go into the hole boat, and for him to drive. So now, I'm in a boat with a hole in it, with a traumatized girl who is absolutely terrified now, and we're looking at the gap. To describe it in detail, it:

Had wind coming from practically every direction, gusts of 20 knots and lulls of 3, boats coming through, 3 police boats that were responding to calls in the outer harbour(1 person fell out of a canoe or something, 1 keelboat capsized, and one dinghy without a coach boat and was suffering out there). I ended up just asking the coach to tow me in and that was that.
At the end of the day, it turned out that the girl with a headache had a mild concussion, and the girl who got pulled under had a concussion(she had to get a C-collar for the night).

The next day my brother would end up getting a severe concussion when his head got hit by the boom(metal pole that holds up the sail) at 30km/h and he still has symptoms today, a month and a half later.

This was a bit long but it was a very interesting story. I have more sailing stories too. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Edit: this is the type of boat I sail, and the guy on the side of the boat is trapezing(not me this time):
WindCheck_April_2015_web_page43_image4.jpg

Wow! Crazy story. If your brother is still having issues from the concussion you may want to go see someone about it. My mother had a bad concussion and had to go through therapy for a while. It make such a hugeeeee difference. She still jumbles words sometimes.

Last edited:
Wow! Crazy story. If your brother is still having issues from the concussion you may want to go see someone about it. My mother was driving someone and got rear ended by the car behind her. She didn't hit her head, but the doctors said the way it jerked her caused damage and a concussion. She wasn't going to see anyone about it, but she just couldn't live with. She was having a hard time with everything, and spent most days in bed for a long time. My dad finally made her see a doctor (my dad is a doctor, but doesn't do this type of thing). They made her do 7 months of vestibular therapy and said if she hadn't, the damage would be permanent. She still struggles a lot with memory. It isn't like she forgets things like people, places, events, or memories. It's more like she just needs a minute to think about a response to something or the word she is trying to think of. She says the words get jumbled and she has to take some time to figure out what word she is trying to say, and even then she blurts out the wrong word sometimes. For example
Me: Hey mom, will you trim my hair before everyone comes for dinner?
Her: *thinks for a minute* Sure, go grab me the spoon
Me: Spoon?
Her: I'm sorry I meant comb.
We are. He gets weekly or so check ups with a special doctor who specializes in concussions.

Also yeah, whiplash can cause concussions. One of the girls got a concussion from whiplash somehow.

Edit: yikes, hope your mom will get better eventually. We're lucky my brother only got hit and suffered a concussion and no fractures and stuff like that. His memory and stuff is fine the only thing is is that he's extra sensitive to things like light and sound.

a not so crazy story but I was once drafted into the belarussian military while in a different country

practically I can't go there ever again because they rake anyone they can get into the army nowadays, it's a dictatorship

We are. He gets weekly or so check ups with a special doctor who specializes in concussions.

Also yeah, whiplash can cause concussions. One of the girls got a concussion from whiplash somehow.

Edit: yikes, hope your mom will get better eventually. We're lucky my brother only got hit and suffered a concussion and no fractures and stuff like that. His memory and stuff is fine the only thing is is that he's extra sensitive to things like light and sound.
That’s good! I hope your brother does well, it definitely can take a while. And thanks, we think my mom is as recovered as she will get. It isn’t anything too bad thankfully

I had a bad concussion a few years ago--took a face plant on a patch of ice while cross country skiing. I was alone, but Mrs. Badger thinks I was probably out for 10-15 minutes. All I remember is feeling a little out of control, thinking "uh-oh!", then coming to face down in the snow and ice with my glasses in several pieces and weird geometric patterns playing across my field of vision. Not what you want. I was able to walk back to my truck and call a friend to come get me, then my wife took me to the ER.

It actually changed my personality for a while. You know that little internal filter in your mind that says, "This annoyance is not worth getting upset about"? It quit working, and I was constantly having to make conscious decisions not to get angry or otherwise upset. It was one of the most exhausting things I've ever experienced. I was also triggered by fluorescent lights, computer use, and multiple sensory inputs. While teaching public school elementary music. That was not the most enjoyable year of my life. One of the hard
things was that there was no visual injury. When I blew up my knee, people went out of their way to help me out because I was on crutches, with a huge brace, and I looked hurt. You act weird with a concussion and people just think you're weird.

All that is just to say Olive and Tacocat, I feel for your mom and brother. Concussions are no fun at all.

I had a bad concussion a few years ago--took a face plant on a patch of ice while cross country skiing. I was alone, but Mrs. Badger thinks I was probably out for 10-15 minutes. All I remember is feeling a little out of control, thinking "uh-oh!", then coming to face down in the snow and ice with my glasses in several pieces and weird geometric patterns playing across my field of vision. Not what you want. I was able to walk back to my truck and call a friend to come get me, then my wife took me to the ER.

It actually changed my personality for a while. You know that little internal filter in your mind that says, "This annoyance is not worth getting upset about"? It quit working, and I was constantly having to make conscious decisions not to get angry or otherwise upset. It was one of the most exhausting things I've ever experienced. I was also triggered by fluorescent lights, computer use, and multiple sensory inputs. While teaching public school elementary music. That was not the most enjoyable year of my life. One of the hard
things was that there was no visual injury. When I blew up my knee, people went out of their way to help me out because I was on crutches, with a huge brace, and I looked hurt. You act weird with a concussion and people just think you're weird.

All that is just to say Olive and Tacocat, I feel for your mom and brother. Concussions are no fun at all.
Oh goodness! I’m so sorry. That sounds miserable.

I had a minor concussion when I was like 5. It was not bad, but I clearly remember it. My brother and I were bouncing on the trampoline with my other sister. A few MASSIVE icicles were laying around (New York winters, lol) and my brother and I were play fighting. He picked one up and smashed it down on the top of my head. I just remember it knocking me over and me screaming. Of course there was the “please don’t tell mom! Here let me kiss it, I’ll make it feel better! I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry! You’re alright! Let’s play a game! Noooooooooooo”.

But it was alright, I got him back. A few months later, when it warmed up (as much as New York does) we were playing on the trampoline. Again, play fighting. He lunged at me, wielding his imaginary sword. I stumbled backward, falling onto my back. Just as he was upon me, I kicked him RIGHT smack on the face. His tooth flew across the trampoline and we all started yelling. I didn’t get in trouble, my parents thought it was so cool :cool:

Last edited:
Oh goodness! I’m so sorry. That sounds miserable.

I had a minor concussion when I was like 5. It was not bad, but I clearly remember it. My brother (7) and I (5) were bouncing on the trampoline with my other sister (3), so I would guess my other sister was a newborn and the youngest wasn’t born yet, but anyway we were in snowsuits, bouncing in the frosty weather. A few MASSIVE icicles were laying around (New York winters, lol) and my brother and I were play fighting. He picked one up and smashed it down on the top of my head. I just remember it knocking me over and me screaming. Of course there was the “please don’t tell mom! Here let me kiss it, I’ll make it feel better! I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry! You’re alright! Let’s play a game! Noooooooooooo”.

But it was alright, I got him back. A few months later, when it warmed up (as much as New York does) we were playing on the trampoline. Again, play fighting. He lunged at me, wielding his imaginary sword. I stumbled backward, falling onto my back. Just as he was upon me, I kicked him RIGHT smack on the face. His tooth flew across the trampoline and we all started yelling. I didn’t get in trouble, my parents thought it was so cool :cool:
I predict that you and your brother are going to be very close as you get older. :) The family that kicks together, sticks together.

Most reactions

Back