Crazy Stories Thread

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Yes! Thats his name... They also found a notebook with him that the officials still havent looked at for reasons I forget... It makes me wonder though... What if he was afraid? Not afraid that he'd get caught, but afraid he'd be blamed... I mean with all honesty he is very suspicious and I think most everyone would blame him for the death but he could have ran away due to worries of being blamed and couldnt handle the stress... Someone may have stalked them... Truth is, we dont know a thing (even though its obvious) but I try to keep my mind open... If you think about the case from a 3rd person pov its his doing... BUT, thinking about it from his point of view he may have just been a scared man, not sure what to do or say...
Yeah, who knows what really happened out there. Being open minded is very valuable. Being able to step back and look at something from different perspectives is something a lot of people cannot do. From what I have heard it sounds like there was a lot of tension in their relationship. My best guess, from what little I know, would be they got in a fight, he got angry and... you know, then realized what he had done and decided to go home, tell his parents goodbye, and go out and end it. Really heartbreaking and absolutely staggering for both their families I'm sure.

Yeah, who knows what really happened out there. Being open minded is very valuable. Being able to step back and look at something from different perspectives is something a lot of people cannot do. From what I have heard it sounds like there was a lot of tension in their relationship. My best guess, from what little I know, would be they got in a fight, he got angry and... you know, then realized what he had done and decided to go home, tell his parents goodbye, and go out and end it. Really heartbreaking and absolutely staggering for both their families I'm sure.
Sounds very reasonable...

When I was a young adult, 18-19 years old or so, I was living with my parents. On summer weekends, they went to their lake cottage, while I stayed home alone. I was working a retail job at the time. By "alone", I mean that I usually had friends over on Friday and Saturday nights, as would most kids that age. We drank, played pool, listened to music, and much more.
The house was in a rural, mostly forested area. The driveway was half a mile long, with the house backing up to a river. One side of the property was bordered by a large, shallow lake, and the other side of the property was bordered by more wetlands, all of which drained into the river. So, the house essentially sat on an "island", accessible only by the driveway, or of course, by boat.
On the night in question, I had to work, arriving home about 9:30 PM. My good friends, Ronnie and Heather (a couple, now married), were coming over for an evening of beer, music, and pool. As I drove down the gravel township road that led to our driveway, I came to the mailboxes in front of a neighbor's (still 3/4 of a mile from the house), and found Ronnie and Heather sitting in their car, waiting for me. This was unusual- normally they would have proceeded to the house. I stopped to ask them what they were doing, and when they spoke, I could tell that they were quite shaken. Heather was nearly in tears. They said that they had already gone up to the house. They saw that my car wasn't there, but that the lights were on in the pool room, which was on the main level, and was where we partied. So, they went to the door. The lights were on in the pool room, and the music was blasting. But when they knocked on the door, the lights and music turned off. Instantly. Ronnie and Heather, now scared ****less, immediately got in the car, and drove up to the mailboxes to wait for me.
After they told me what happened, I sort of scoffed at their story. But what's important to note about Ronnie and Heather is that they weren't pranksters, or story tellers. Quite frankly, they were neither imaginative enough nor particularly bright enough, to pull off a gag like this. Nor were they actors, but they were clearly frightened, and did not want to go back to the house. I, on the other hand, was oozing with teenage bravery, and convinced them to come back to the house with me. When we arrived, the lights and music were off, and we had an uneventful evening playing pool, listening to music, and drinking beer.
So, was someone at our house? No, of course not. Nothing was stolen or disturbed, and the only way out would have been the driveway, where we would have seen them leave. Were Ronnie and Heather pranking me? Possibly, but they just weren't they type. They weren't at all mischievous, and neither could tell the simplest of fibs with a straight face.
I never did figure out what happened that night, but it may be (or may not be) interesting to note that I had an uncle who died in that room some years previously.

Last edited:
When I was a young adult, 18-19 years old or so, I was living with my parents. On summer weekends, they went to their lake cottage, while I stayed home alone. I was working a retail job at the time. By "alone", I mean that I usually had friends over on Friday and Saturday nights, as would most kids that age. We drank, played pool, listened to music, and much more.
The house was in a rural, mostly forested area. The driveway was half a mile long, with the house backing up to a river. One side of the property was bordered by a large, shallow lake, and the other side of the property was bordered by more wetlands, all of which drained into the river. So, the house essentially sat on an "island", accessible only by the driveway, or of course, by boat.
On the night in question, I had to work, arriving home about 9:30 PM. My good friends, Ronnie and Heather (a couple, now married), were coming over for an evening of beer, music, and pool. As I drove down the gravel township road that led to our driveway, I came to the mailboxes in front of a neighbor's (still 3/4 of a mile from the house), and found Ronnie and Heather sitting in their car, waiting for me. This was unusual- normally they would have proceeded to the house. I stopped to ask them what they were doing, and when they spoke, I could tell that they were quite shaken. Heather was nearly in tears. They said that they had already gone up to the house. They saw that my car wasn't there, but that the lights were on in the pool room, which was on the main level, and was where we partied. So, they went to the door. The lights were on in the pool room, and the music was blasting. But when they knocked on the door, the lights and music turned off. Instantly. Ronnie and Heather, now scared ****less, immediately got in the care, and drove up to the mailboxes to wait for me.
After they told me what happened, I sort of scoffed at their story. But what's important to note about Ronnie and Heather is that they weren't pranksters, or story tellers. Quite frankly, they were neither imaginative enough nor particularly bright enough, to pull off a gag like this. Nor were they actors, but they were clearly frightened, and did not want to go back to the house. I, on the other hand, was oozing with teenage bravery, and convinced them to come back to the house with me. When we arrived, the lights and music were off, and we had an uneventful evening playing pool, listening to music, and drinking beer.
So, was someone at our house? No, of course not. Nothing was stolen or disturbed, and the only way out would have been the driveway, where we would have seen them leave. Were Ronnie and Heather pranking me? Possibly, but they just weren't they type. They weren't at all mischievous, and neither could tell the simplest of fibs with a straight face.
I never did figure out what happened that night, but it may be (or may not be) interesting to note that I had an uncle who died in that room some years previously.
OIP.L56y6-Hk1De0o-Wa3a723gHaGe

I have a few crazy stories but I will limit it to one.

In the 1980s I participated in a cave rescue practice in a small vertical cave on Vancouver Island. The scenario was simple, a group descended earlier but one got injured on the far side of a very tight passage. For the rescue practice we rigged and descended into the cave. At the time I was pretty light and dropped the pit easily then crawled through the tight descending passage quickly to help with the rescue practice.

Move ahead to 2005, due to changes in the roads, the cave was lost and the club was trying to relocate them. My wife and I had both been to the lost cave in the past so the evening before we got our our maps, lights, ropes, and ascenders to go look for the cave. Unfortunately the next day my wife woke up with a migraine so could not go, I decided to go look for the cave myself.

I climbed all over around looking for the cave but couldn't find it, but I continued searching for hours and found it at about 2:30 pm. This was occurring in early november so I really only had a couple of hours of good light but being a caver I wasn't worried about the hike out in the dark so I decided to do the cave I just re-found.

The drop in the cave is pretty simple but I knew there was some loose rock on the sides so I was prepared with gear to rig some deviations so the that rope dropped straight down the middle of the pit and I wouldn't have to touch the rocks. The planning paid off and I was at the bottom of the 70' pit in less than 30 minutes of finding the cave. At the bottom of the pit I decided I would do the squeeze to the last chamber, during the rescue practice I did numerous times and knew it well. The squeeze starts as a crawl heading down hill at about 30 degrees, I had done it before so I knew it went, so dived in headfirst. I realized that I hadn't considered my weight gain over the 20 years when I was stuck in the passage facing downhill. I tried to back up but all the gear bunched up and it is incredibly difficult to go backwards up a squeeze. I decided my only chance was to move ahead. I started breathing out, moving ahead, breathing in and resting, repeat. After about 10 minutes I made it into the chamber at the end, ok not too bad but now I was a bit tense, I was also on the wrong side of the squeeze and now I would have to go back.

Realistically I had no hope for help, and even if help arrived what would they do, no one really knew where the cave was, so I still had to go back the way I came. After a brief breather I empty all my excess gear into a bag and started the long trip back through the squeeze. Gravity is now working against me and I found that all I could do was move 2" at a time being powered by the tips of my toes only. In the tightest parts I could only move forward when I exhaled. The first thing to get caught was a spare flashlight that was jamming me against the rock, I pushed against it hard enough I broke the cord around my neck holding it. Then the watch strap on my trailing arm, got stuck and it got torn off. After 30 minutes I manage to get out of the squeeze, total length less than 20', but I was now exhausted and still had to ascend the pit.

The ascent up was hard but technically easy, I wanted to take my time but if I didn't contact my wife before 6 pm she would call the cave rescue group out, and that would be very embarrassing. I pushed myself up the pit, it seemed like it took an hour but I am sure it did not. In the end I managed to get to a phone soon enough to call my wife, she waited a bit longer. My discarded gear was discovered 5 years later when a group of thinner cavers did the trip.

I would have to say I didn't learn much from the experience other than don't go headfirst into squeezes. I still enjoy solo trips, and have done other stupid things since.

I climbed all over around looking for the cave but couldn't find it, but I continued searching for hours and found it at about 2:30 pm. This was occurring in early november so I really only had a couple of hours of good light but being a caver I wasn't worried about the hike out in the dark so I decided to do the cave I just re-found.

The drop in the cave is pretty simple but I knew there was some loose rock on the sides so I was prepared with gear to rig some deviations so the that rope dropped straight down the middle of the pit and I wouldn't have to touch the rocks. The planning paid off and I was at the bottom of the 70' pit in less than 30 minutes of finding the cave. At the bottom of the pit I decided I would do the squeeze to the last chamber, during the rescue practice I did numerous times and knew it well.
Why..? Just why..? The very thought of choosing to go into a cave is enough to worry me, but alone…?? 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️😂

In the 1980s I participated in a cave rescue practice in a small vertical cave on Vancouver Island. The scenario was simple, a group descended earlier but one got injured on the far side of a very tight passage. For the rescue practice we rigged and descended into the cave. At the time I was pretty light and dropped the pit easily then crawled through the tight descending passage quickly to help with the rescue practice.

Move ahead to 2005, due to changes in the roads, the cave was lost and the club was trying to relocate them. My wife and I had both been to the lost cave in the past so the evening before we got our our maps, lights, ropes, and ascenders to go look for the cave. Unfortunately the next day my wife woke up with a migraine so could not go, I decided to go look for the cave myself.

The drop in the cave is pretty simple but I knew there was some loose rock on the sides so I was prepared with gear to rig some deviations so the that rope dropped straight down the middle of the pit and I wouldn't have to touch the rocks. The planning paid off and I was at the bottom of the 70' pit in less than 30 minutes of finding the cave. At the bottom of the pit I decided I would do the squeeze to the last chamber, during the rescue practice I did numerous times and knew it well. The squeeze starts as a crawl heading down hill at about 30 degrees, I had done it before so I knew it went, so dived in headfirst. I realized that I hadn't considered my weight gain over the 20 years when I was stuck in the passage facing downhill. I tried to back up but all the gear bunched up and it is incredibly difficult to go backwards up a squeeze. I decided my only chance was to move ahead. I started breathing out, moving ahead, breathing in and resting, repeat. After about 10 minutes I made it into the chamber at the end, ok not too bad but now I was a bit tense, I was also on the wrong side of the squeeze and now I would have to go back.

Realistically I had no hope for help, and even if help arrived what would they do, no one really knew where the cave was, so I still had to go back the way I came. After a brief breather I empty all my excess gear into a bag and started the long trip back through the squeeze. Gravity is now working against me and I found that all I could do was move 2" at a time being powered by the tips of my toes only. In the tightest parts I could only move forward when I exhaled. The first thing to get caught was a spare flashlight that was jamming me against the rock, I pushed against it hard enough I broke the cord around my neck holding it. Then the watch strap on my trailing arm, got stuck and it got torn off. After 30 minutes I manage to get out of the squeeze, total length less than 20', but I was now exhausted and still had to ascend the pit.

The ascent up was hard but technically easy, I wanted to take my time but if I didn't contact my wife before 6 pm she would call the cave rescue group out, and that would be very embarrassing. I pushed myself up the pit, it seemed like it took an hour but I am sure it did not. In the end I managed to get to a phone soon enough to call my wife, she waited a bit longer. My discarded gear was discovered 5 years later when a group of thinner cavers did the trip.

I would have to say I didn't learn much from the experience other than don't go headfirst into squeezes. I still enjoy solo trips, and have done other stupid things since.
Things we do when our wives aren't with us...

The risk is part of the appeal, I think. If you know what you're doing and take ordinary precautions, the risk of actual death is low. The risk of severe inconvenience, minor injury, and/or embarrassment is high enough to sharpen the senses and make one feel a bit more alive. :lol: That feeling is a precious commodity in these over-civilized times.

(I don't know anything about caving except what I've read, but I like to hike and hunt alone in grizzly country, and it's a lot the same thing, I suspect)

(I don't know anything about caving except what I've read, but I like to hike and hunt alone in grizzly country, and it's a lot the same thing, I suspect)

Do you ever see grizzlies in the wild where you are? I live in Ohio, so no grizzlies (or even black bears, except further south). I think it'd be awesome to see a wild grizzly. (Of course, I get excited still when I see a deer & the two times I saw a coyote.)

Do you ever see grizzlies in the wild where you are? I live in Ohio, so no grizzlies (or even black bears, except further south). I think it'd be awesome to see a wild grizzly. (Of course, I get excited still when I see a deer & the two times I saw a coyote.)
Coyotes are cool; we see them all the time and occasionally hear them singing from our house. Unless you're raising sheep or chickens; then they're less cool. :) A few times I've heard wolves howliing in the mountains. That's a sound you never forget.

I've only seen one griz in the wild, up in the Tetons. It was a black/silver sow with three cubs, grazing in the spring. Pretty amazing thing to see. Grizzlies are still uncommon this far south, but they're around. I do have occasional encounters with black bears and frequently see tracks and scat from bears and mountain lions. You don't see mountain lions unless they just want you to. Those things are almost supernaturally sneaky. I like knowing they're around.

you also don't know if you're going to come out alive
Well heck, that's true of crossing the street, or of not getting enough exercise, or eating a big mac. It's a dangerous world, no matter how you slice it.

Honestly possums are almost worse than coyotes!

I would love to hear wolves in person, they are my absolute favorite animal ever. I want to visit Alaska someday and see the northern lights and a pack of wolves, like those wildlife photographers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back