Craynerds Planted Tank Mk.2

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Don't forget that you can have nitrates and ammonia under a couple of conditions. Firstly, does your tapwater contain any nitrates? I'm sure you've already checked that but it's worth mentioning. Secondly, if the rate of ammonia production is too high for the bacteria levels then even though the bacteria are producing nitrate there will be a 'backlog' of ammonia waiting to be processed. I can't remember if you used a seeded filter. I'm over 30 and my mind isn't what it used to be! If you did then I'd guess at the second option. Maybe there just aren't enough bacteria in there yet.
A third option is that your nitrate test kit has thrown a wobbly. They are known for that after all!

WK

If you have another tank available, I'd seriously consider removing the shrimp.
If your ammonia is that high and they are acting erratic, you'll probably end up losing some.

It's almost as if the tank is cycling, with an early ammonia spike before the Nitrite goes up.

Hope you manage to find a cure soon.

tap water is zero for ammonia, nitrate and nitrate, with pH 6.8 and KH 25.

Shrimps have settled down now, i am thinking it still could be a dicky test kit.

Chris

Could this be due to the mulm you added? If its breaking down it could be releasing lots of NH3. Or it could be the tank cycling again, how long did you have the filter off for during the tank change over? I think API do a product called Ammo-lock which detoxifies the NH3 until the bacteria can break it down. But if you've only got shrimp in there I would be tempted not to use it and re-home the shrimp and let the tank settle of its own accord. I would also do lots of water changes, that much NH3 could be disastrous on the algae front.

Keep us posted, hope it sorts soon mate.

Sam

Hi Chris

Looking good-just keep those hands out for now and don't trim!

Ammonia may be a little worrying, but I wouldn't worry too much about the shrimp-I had a major issue a filter in my standby tank where I kept the livestock prior to setting up the new tank. I lost a lot of fish, but no shrimp-these seemed to be very adaptable to the high levels of ammonia that unfortunately developed. That said, keep an eye on it. I would tend to agree that it could be the mulm breaking down-the plants will utilise it though and regular daily water changes for now should help the issue. As George will tell you, from the planted tank perspective, the real issue with ammonia is potentially algae.

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks for your interest Nick.

Here is a picture of the tank a week in.

I have to admit, i spoke once again to Gary Wu and he said the tank was looking good and that the next big step was maintainance. He advised that the Rotala R. was too large already and needed to be trimmed even this early on since it will not grow in good relation to the other plants.
I was very reluctant, since i was determined to leave it to bed in fight the temptation to fiddle, but since i have listened to nearly every other piece of advice he has given, i felt it foolish to ignore this one on principle just to discipline myself!!
So i have cut the Rotala R. down about 4-5 inch since some of it was getting to the water surface! I have every faith that most of the excessive growth is due to my high CO2 concentrations.

You can probably already see the plants are now surrounding the wood more and hugging it, so to speak. That what i eventually want.
I have also thinned out the Rotala Nanj. That involved actually pulling pieces out, again under the advice of Gary.
It does make sense. To get the round lush ball shaped growth, the new shoots have to make up the lower portions of the plant. If you plant to heavily then the lower areas don`t get enough light. Only 2 days later and i can see the lower shoots coming through and getting more light.

You should be able to see the hairgrass is growing. New shoots are actually coming through the AS. I think it will take a time for it to bed in, but once it does i think this plant is quite happy!

Crypts.....lots of leaves are dead, but lots of new ones coming through.

Still got high ammonia levels but little algae. I have started to get a bit appearing on the glass. Shrimps are doing a grand job! Although i put 20 in i can only ever see about 4-5 at a time!!

Hope you like the pictures....sorry i edited one...looks a bit cheesy!

Chris

Oasis4re.jpg

Oasis4editre.jpg

Bigger images are here:

http://www.training2teach.co.uk/images/Oasis4.jpg

http://www.training2teach.co.uk/images/Oasis4edit.jpg

I just had a quick thought: woul it not be better to place the diffuser underneath or closer to the lilly pipe so that some of the co2 bubbles are blown about and the Co2 diffuses alot better or is that diffuser so good that it diffuses 100% anyway? What BPS are you running? What should i run on my 55g about 60% planted? I have a very simalar glass diffuser.

The tanks looking good i bet you can't wait to get stuck into that tank.

looking great Chris! wow!

my only critisism is with your larger edited pic!

need a much higher quality piccie if ur gunna blow it up!
badteeth.gif

:p

woul it not be better to place the diffuser underneath or closer to the lilly pipe so that some of the co2 bubbles are blown about and the Co2 diffuses alot better or is that diffuser so good that it diffuses 100% anyway?

Ginge, its a good idea, but what you can`t see is that the lily pipe creates such good circulation that positioned where it is directly infront of the diffuser the bubbles get blow all around the tank. The diffuser is also fab, the bubbles are so small that only a small amount of water current whisps them around the tank.
In actual fact, you look at the lily pipe, it has a long neck that stretches over the side of the tank, therefore if you put the diffuser directly under the lily pipe you wouldn`t get any movement of bubbles.

Baiscally, your idea is correct, i do want the bubbles blown around the tank, but the current positions do just that.

looking great Chris! wow!

my only critisism is with your larger edited pic!

need a much higher quality piccie if ur gunna blow it up! IPB Image

Sorry i am not with you? The image is edited in terms of cropped with a boarder but i haven`t blown anything up in size ? Thats just a 1492 x 931 pixel straight cut right from the camera picture. lol, besides if the picture quality is all you can criticise about thats fine by me :p ......edit. well.....for now anyhow!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have been away for a while so not had time to follow your journal uptil now.

All I can say is WOW! Looks fantastic, I like everything about it and the DIY cabinet and lighting rig are superb! :good:

Sorry, may have missed this but what fish are going in it?

CW

Thanks Chris I appreciate your positive comments.

I am not too sure what fish are going in it yet! Whatever goes in won`t be in for at least another 2-3 weeks.

I think i`ll probably go for something more neutral in colour than the cardinals that I used in my previous tank. Also something that stays relatively small.
To be honest, I know very little about fish species, my real interest are the plants.

Fish suggestions welcome.... :) small and neutral (ie not bright red or orange) ?

Oh, i`ll be adding ottos in the next few weeks, just when I find some decent ones.

Chris

Tank is really starting to take shape there Chris. I really like how the rotala at the back is engulfing the wood. I'm sure that was the look you were going for.

It looks like you are still having troubles with the tannis... the water looks slightly off colour.

As for fish, what about Black Neon Tetras? I have about 10 in my tank... they are all black with an irridescent blue stripe. Or maybe a pair of bolivian rams? They are more white and yellow I believe. Maybe some Zebra Danios. Or some gourami? I'll think some more about fish for you.

Tank is really starting to take shape there Chris. I really like how the rotala at the back is engulfing the wood. I'm sure that was the look you were going for.

It looks like you are still having troubles with the tannis... the water looks slightly off colour.

As for fish, what about Black Neon Tetras? I have about 10 in my tank... they are all black with an irridescent blue stripe. Or maybe a pair of bolivian rams? They are more white and yellow I believe. Maybe some Zebra Danios. Or some gourami? I'll think some more about fish for you.

I like Jen's idea about the black tetra's. I have 7 in my tank with some pristella (xray) tetra's and love em. I'm hoping to use them in my 240Ltr tank when it gets setup. They'd look superb in a large shoal.

Not sure about the rams though ..... I thought they needed a really mature tank (6 months+ ) and wouldn't be too sure about them if you are planning on keeping the shrimp in the tank.

Al

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back