FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Whales7

Reaction score
hi all, my crayfish molted a week ago and for the first few days after she seemed fine. She ate an egg shell and most of her moult but Iā€™ve noticed that the back shell and her claw parts of the molt havenā€™t been eaten. So I looked for her (sheā€™s usually hiding during the day) and she usually gets really defensive when I lift her rock but she just kind of let herself be pushed back with a decoration as I went to see if she would react to me. Her shell got darker since she molted and part of her antennae are missing it seems. Also her tail is curled up under her. Is she sick from the eggshell? She is in a 10 gallon by herself. I think she is just a common brown crayfish (my little sister gave her to me because she used to be a class pet ā€˜projectā€™. Is she sick? Help!

I have had her for almost a year now and not seen problems like this by the way.
hi all, my crayfish molted a week ago and for the first few days after she seemed fine. She ate an egg shell and most of her moult but Iā€™ve noticed that the back shell and her claw parts of the molt havenā€™t been eaten. So I looked for her (sheā€™s usually hiding during the day) and she usually gets really defensive when I lift her rock but she just kind of let herself be pushed back with a decoration as I went to see if she would react to me. Her shell got darker since she molted and part of her antennae are missing it seems. Also her tail is curled up under her. Is she sick from the eggshell? She is in a 10 gallon by herself. I think she is just a common brown crayfish (my little sister gave her to me because she used to be a class pet ā€˜projectā€™. Is she sick? Help![/QU

This is a picture of her right now ( I have removed the decoration she usually hides under)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 152
Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for the next 2 weeks.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Feed the crayfish each day with a variety of foods.

If you put egg shells in the tank, boil them first to kill off anything on them. You should also check to see if the eggs have been disinfected before they are sent to the shops. Some countries spray chicken eggs with a disinfectant and this can poison aquatic organisms. If your country does spray eggs, then don't put the shell in the tank.

Thank you, I do believe it was the egg shells. My crayfish passed away after two water changes. I didn't realize the shells could be poisonous. Rest in Peace, and may I never make this mistake again:-(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back