Cracked 75 Gallon Tank, Still Safe to Use?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Hello. I was at my LFS today and they had a cracked tank. They said they werenā€™t allowed to sell it so it was being used to show off a stand. I am curious if this would be safe to use or not, if I were somehow able to get it for them for cheap. Would this be safe to use if it were only filled to an inch or two below the crack? Clearly thereā€™s nothing they can do with it, right? As I understand it, the structural integrity of that pane is compromised. Could you silicone a strip of glass over it for extra precaution?
9415029D-65F2-4B5F-B941-CE7348E29733.jpeg

Hello. I was at my LFS today and they had a cracked tank. They said they werenā€™t allowed to sell it so it was being used to show off a stand. I am curious if this would be safe to use or not, if I were somehow able to get it for them for cheap. Would this be safe to use if it were only filled to an inch or two below the crack? Clearly thereā€™s nothing they can do with it, right? As I understand it, the structural integrity of that pane is compromised. Could you silicone a strip of glass over it for extra precaution?View attachment 145160
i wouldnā€™t use it, but may be ok. Petco and Petsmart often have good prices on tanks. and then thereā€™s Craigslist

Agree - I would be too scared to try and use it. I've seen many a disaster involving a cracked tank and would wholly like to avoid such a disaster on my own hands.

There is too much reflection in the image to see where the crack starts/ends

Cracked aquariums can be used as long as the crack can be covered and is not weightbearing...a weightbearing crack would likely require the pane replaced.

For example, a bottom pane crack can have an identical sized pane glued to it with silicone and then sealed right around the edges with silicone....depending on size of crack/aquarium - ie if framed bottom or basic bare. Most cracked bottoms can be repaired successfully since the weight of the water and the stand will effectively sandwich the cracked pane + supporting pane and that prevents most leakage issues

Side or end panes are weightbearing, ie the water is pressing onto them from within the aquarium. End and side panes by virtue of their weightbearing are tricky to repair, however if you took it to a glazier, they might be able to remove the damaged side or end pane and replace it rather than attach a secondary pane on top of it. Glaziers have the required equipment and knowledge to replace a side or end panel...it needs careful clamping whilst the silicone adhesive sets, something that is generally not successful done on a DIY basis at home. It would cost you to have a professional repair like that but if the aquarium is FOC then it would be worth doing it...and replaced panels done professionally usually come with a 12 month warranty as well, which is always nice to have especially on a larger aquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back