crack in top rim of tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Alice B

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've been thru this a time or 2, I have tanks I've had for more than 30 years and resealed before. A vertical crack in the top rim somehow produces a drip on the outside of the glass. Short of a full reseal, anyone have a quick fix to stop the drip? The reason the bottom 10 is low is the crack front and center on it.

Attachments

• 20220626_111635.jpg
    20220626_111635.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 52
The lower 10G is leaking?

I'm not sure how, with the water level lowered...

pictures of the crack and the tank?

You have 2 tanks in the picture and they have covers on so I don't know which one you are talking about, let alone see any crack.

The lower 10 gallon I have the water low because there is a tiny vertical crack front and center in the rim of the tank. You can just see a white shadow if you click on the picture. Seems the most frequent injury to stored tanks. And of course new silicone doesn't stick to old silicone. I might be able to use a fine wire to get a silicone or glue into the crack. It's in the black top rim and it is very fine but there is water dripping if I fill the tank.

Attachments

• crack_in_tankrim.jpg
    crack_in_tankrim.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 42
Cracks in glass can go for a while, but generally, one day, they take off. Everything depends on the direction they go in. Silicone will plug them, but not hold them. I have repaired tanks no one but me looked at (fry rearing tanks, never show tanks) with pieces of glass siliconed into place. Tanks fixed that way will hold water for years, but they aren't pretty.

If I run my sponge filters with as much air as you do, I make certain to have a very tight glass lid sitting on the rim of the tank to direct the spray down. Commercial covers will let some water out.

I've owned a lot of tanks - probably 150 plus over my years of fishkeeping. Most have been second hand, garage sale type or fish business going bankrupt types, and they have had cracks. I never trust a cracked tank not to catastrophically empty at some point. I spot a crack, I replace a tank.

Cracks in glass can go for a while, but generally, one day, they take off. Everything depends on the direction they go in. Silicone will plug them, but not hold them. I have repaired tanks no one but me looked at (fry rearing tanks, never show tanks) with pieces of glass siliconed into place. Tanks fixed that way will hold water for years, but they aren't pretty.

If I run my sponge filters with as much air as you do, I make certain to have a very tight glass lid sitting on the rim of the tank to direct the spray down. Commercial covers will let some water out.

I've owned a lot of tanks - probably 150 plus over my years of fishkeeping. Most have been second hand, garage sale type or fish business going bankrupt types, and they have had cracks. I never trust a cracked tank not to catastrophically empty at some point. I spot a crack, I replace a tank.
I don't believe the OP's glass is cracked, just the trim

The crack isn't in the glass, it's in the plastic rim. I took a new picture 3 times. Can't see the crack. I'm thinking about superglue, gel type, to fix the exterior. the trouble is the crack acts like a little siphon and pulls the water up over the edge to drip under the trim on the exterior glass. Hate to have to move the fish out, to tighten it I might have to get the water pressure down, maybe do a water change and glue it and glue maybe a piece of plexiglass to the exterior of the trim and hold it long enough to get it to set.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back