So Many Babies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oh no! I'm so sorry

Planet cat did tell me that larger batches have bigger losses, one of the staff there struggles with large broods of fry but has no issue keeping singletons alive. Seems i may be following that pattern too.

Nothing's changed in my routine. Temperatures 72-75F depending on ambiance, water changed 100% daily, uneaten food removed via vacuum, same bucket used to refill as every day, dechlorinated with Prime, fed 2x daily with Hikari First Bites. Filtered with a mini sponge filter, cycle media to seed it. Sand from parent tank in the tote. Indian almond leaf litter and alder cones...

Many that passed had food in their tummies, so it wasnt a matter of not finding food...

When baby fish start dying it's either from poor water quality or starvation. If smaller fish are dying and the water is good, then it's starvation.

Baby Corydoras are quite small and need small food. You also need to feed more often than 2 times a day. I fed mine 3-5 times a day.

During the first 2 weeks you should reduce the water level to about 4 inches so the fry and food are closer together.

Look for a smaller type of food, microworms might be small enough or vinegar eels. Infusoria and green water also help.

-------------------
The reason people lose large batches of fry is due to starvation or poor water quality, usually starvation. Female fry tend to be a bit smaller than male fry and this lets males take slightly larger food. The smaller females can't always eat the bigger food and starve.

When baby fish start dying it's either from poor water quality or starvation. If smaller fish are dying and the water is good, then it's starvation.

Baby Corydoras are quite small and need small food. You also need to feed more often than 2 times a day. I fed mine 3-5 times a day.

During the first 2 weeks you should reduce the water level to about 4 inches so the fry and food are closer together.

Look for a smaller type of food, microworms might be small enough or vinegar eels. Infusoria and green water also help.

-------------------
The reason people lose large batches of fry is due to starvation or poor water quality, usually starvation. Female fry tend to be a bit smaller than male fry and this lets males take slightly larger food. The smaller females can't always eat the bigger food and starve.
Tummies were full of food, i could see the reddish colour of the first bites in their tummies.
Water changed 100% daily, with a filter, so water quality is not an issue either.

Plus, if starvation was the cause, they wouldnt all have passed within 24-30 hours of one another all abruptly.

Ive only lost 2 more since, but so far things seem stable.

Solo has some pretty impressive whiskers already!
20200615_222803.jpg

And some of the younger babies
20200616_065522.jpg

20200615_222845.jpg

20200616_065226.jpg

I did increase feeding number to 3.

And food sinks, i dip a damp toothpick into the food and add just a tip. I dip it into the water so it sinks immediately.

Theyre larger than when first hatched, along the same progress Solo was at that age, looking at photos. Not all of this batch hatched the same day, this batch hatched over 3 separate days, so there is a bit of a growth difference. Most of the ones that passed were the younger of these.

Sitting at 32 fry, no more losses. We did have a sudden dip in temperatures the other day, maybe was a bit much on the fry given no heater, relying on ambiant temperatures.

Small square container has 13 babies in it
20200617_100839.jpg

Solo in his own cup
20200617_100712.jpg

Square container babies
20200616_174332.jpg

1 cup has 10 babies
20200617_100649.jpg

Other has 8, the two last losses were from this cup.
20200617_100702.jpg

Yay! Good luck!

So because my betta got herself a new tank, that left her old tank free.

So i converted it to a fry grow out until the little guys are big enough to move to a 20 gallon grow out. Nice to actually see side views of them now

20200618_190018.jpg

And neat to see Solo
20200618_191006(0).jpg

20200618_191017.jpg

The younger ones blend in super well
20200618_204532.jpg

20200618_204605.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back