covering filter intake

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KarenW

Reaction score
KarenW:
Hi, brand new to this forum. I have a 60 gallon and just purchased 3 really small albino cories. I was afraid they may get stuck in the Fluval 60 gallon filter, so I wrapped an empty filter cartridge around the intake. It does not seem to be restricting the water intake. Does anyone have any good/bad comments about this? Just trying to keep the cories safe...

Make sure you rinse the sponges thoroughly at least every week to avoid issues with flow restriction. Turn off the filter while the sponges are off so nothing gets sucked in. I usually do this at water change time when the filter is turned off anyway and the level is below the sponges. If you are overfeeding or heavily stocked you may want to rinse them between water changes as well.

It's not a major chore as it will be fine to just rinse them under the tap.

People use nylon sock/ cut off tights to cover filter intakes for protecting tiny fry or young shrimp from being sucked inside the filter. You could try this if you're really worried but I doubt your cories are as small as fry/ shrimplets.

They actually make premade filter sponges, they have a hole cut almost all the way through and it just slips over the intake. Usually only a couple bucks so they don't break the bank. We have one on both our intakes because we have young fry, and they work great. They will attract a lot of gunk and waste, so they need to be cleaned regularly like the above poster said, usually during water changes if it's high enough and you are water changing 40-50% you can just reach in and slip it off without dragging it through the water. You can see them here:
s-l400.jpg

Thank you for your suggestions!! I am still using the empty filter cartridge which is working great and rinsing it weekly with each water change as suggested.. thank you again!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back