Could Someone Please Tell Me How Far Along She Is? :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ZackMU30

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Got this guppy a little over a month ago..

Have three females and 1 male.

This is the most pregnant of the three..

So..now far along is she?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 155
welcomeani.gif
to the forum.

She looks like she has about a week to go, but it could be sooner, as she's a young fish; young females tend to have smaller broods, so they don't get as big as more mature females.

You want to look out for her 'squaring off'. That means her belly will develop corners, as if she's swallowed a box. Once that happens, they usually give birth within a day or two. I would advise you not to put her in any kind of breeding box or net. They're too small for the fish to feel comfortable, and too small for the fry to grow properly.

If you want to grow on a few fry, you're better off adding plenty of hiding places to the main tank. Fine leaved live plants are best for that; the plants will also provide micro organisms and algae for the fry to eat.

I put my guppies in a separate tank when they're about to give birth.

Thanks for the replies! I have another tank setup right now. I'm trying to bring the temperature up in it as we speak.. (Old heater broke) I intended to use a breeder box for the mother until she gave birth and then move just the fry into the new tank.. Should I just go ahead and put her in the new tank by herself?

If you have another tank available, yes, use that rather than a breeder box. Do still add plenty of plants though; although guppies aren't big fry eaters, the mother might eat some before you've noticed she's given birth. Females often give birth at night, or very early in the morning.

fluttermoth said:
If you have another tank available, yes, use that rather than a breeder box. Do still add plenty of plants though; although guppies aren't big fry eaters, the mother might eat some before you've noticed she's given birth. Females often give birth at night, or very early in the morning.
Thank you :) she's in the new tank now.. Drip acclimated for about 15 minutes.. She looks a little stressed (to be assumed since she's ina new tank)

Hopefully she settles in.

15 minutes doesn't seem like very long - did you match all the parameters?

Mamashack said:
15 minutes doesn't seem like very long - did you match all the parameters?
Yes, parameters virtually the same. Drip acclimated due to temperature difference. 2 degrees warmer..

She seems to be doing fine. Has calmed down and I gave her a few flakes for her second meal..

The birth canal is now visible.. (White spot near fins.)

Is this a good sign? Any other guesses on when she'll pop?

ZackMU30 said:
The birth canal is now visible.. (White spot near fins.)

Is this a good sign? Any other guesses on when she'll pop?
Can't add anything to what Fluttermoth said really.
I have live bearers too altho mine are platies and she always gave birth at night every 5 weeks to the day. What out for a population explosion. Best to do what Fluutermoth said and have a few plants for a few to hide in. There will be some culling, but if there wasn't you'd be overrun with fry at varying stages within 2 or 3 months.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back