Could somebody tell me what this is?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Katerose91

Reaction score
Hi.

Could somebody tell me what type of snail this is and if it is "safe" to keep or will it invade my tank? It must have come in with the new plants I bought some weeks ago (btw the green is a reflection...the tank isn't algae ridden!)
20200410_143318.jpg

Okie dokie @Colin_T I have taken it out of the tank now! My partner found one the other day and also made the decision to get rid of it. Is there anything I should do here or just keep taking them out when I see them?

I just remove them when I see them. Other people will say keep them but I find they breed prolifically and you end up with heaps in the tank.

You could get an assassin snail, they will prey on them.
But then of course after theyre gone, you may need to feed a few of these every now and again to it... but you can keep a container with an airstone with the pest snails just to toss one in every now and again.

Assassin snails also breed very slowly and need 2 of different genders to breed i believe. But theyre pretty, and a good snail if you dont want the ones that take over your tank.

Personally, i like my pest snails. I especially keep ramshorns around. I find since i got a good population of ramshorns, i dont get many bladder/pond snails. Dont overfeed and their population will stay managed. They do good at maintaining planted tanks.
Bladders/ponds breed way faster and more prolifically than ramshorns though. So i do understand peoples dislike of the pest snail groups. If you dont like it, then definitely work to keep them out

That's brill. At least I don't need to be hunting them down or anything like that. Note to self : make sure to quarantine new plants for a long period of time next time! X

That's brill. At least I don't need to be hunting them down or anything like that. Note to self : make sure to quarantine new plants for a long period of time next time! X
You can also dip them in a bleach solution. Supposed to kill snails, snail eggs, and other unwanted pests. Never tried it though.

Thank you @NCaquatics - a friend of mine did actually offer me one of her assassin snails so I might take her up on it at some point! Yeah I heard of bleach treatment...to be honest I am pretty "new" to my fish and plant keeping, so I am disappointed in myself for not doing more research before purchasing my plants. Basically, I bought a male betta for my tank and had plastic plants and he loved hiding in them, and I didn't want him to shred his beautiful tail so I wanted the plants ASAP x

Thank you @NCaquatics - a friend of mine did actually offer me one of her assassin snails so I might take her up on it at some point! Yeah I heard of bleach treatment...to be honest I am pretty "new" to my fish and plant keeping, so I am disappointed in myself for not doing more research before purchasing my plants. Basically, I bought a male betta for my tank and had plastic plants and he loved hiding in them, and I didn't want him to shred his beautiful tail so I wanted the plants ASAP x
We have all been there.

But better a pest snail than a leech or dragonfly/damselfly larvae! Or planaria. You dont want those. Leeches are just ew and some species may harm fish. Or you if they attach to your hand during maintenance. And the larvae will prey on fish their size or smaller... but theres cases they take larger. And planaria is mostly an issue if you have shrimp.

Most other hitchhikers are fairly harmless, just an eyesore.

When getting plants, check them in a well lit area. Keep them in a glass bowl thats clear. Pick out any snails or bugs you see. Check the stems and leaves for little clear jelly/mucous like blobs--these are snail eggs.

Hornwort is a very easy one to get pests in. Its easier for little bugs to hide inside it

You can also dip them in a bleach solution. Supposed to kill snails, snail eggs, and other unwanted pests. Never tried it though.
I tried it and killed the plant . Maybe the dip was too long. Oops.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back