Could really use some assistance

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Water change period is what you need, the fish appear to be suffering from nitrite poisoning and this cannot last. As for RO, why is there a problem with the tap water alone? Have you tested it for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and with what numbers?
Okay so i just tested my tap water from my sink and nitrate is 0-20 (safe) and nitrite is 0

So there is nothing wrong with my tap water...

Okay so i just tested my tap water from my sink and nitrate is 0-20 (safe) and nitrite is 0

So there is nothing wrong with my tap water...

Doesn't seem to be. So do a major 75-80% water change on the tank with nitrite, and us the conditioner but nothing else. Don't over-use the conditioner, just the amount for the volume changed is sufficient, and you don't want to be wasting it and the fish do not need more of it to further stress them.

The nitrate can be looked into but the major issue is the nitrite which willkill the fish soon if not removed. Nitrate is a longer-acting issue, serious if at or above 20ppm but not immediately deadly.

The nitrate can be looked into but the major issue is the nitrite which willkill the fish soon if not removed. Nitrate is a longer-acting issue, serious if at or above 20ppm but not immediately deadly.
I had my nitrates once up to 250ppm :/ I really don't know how that was possible.. but it sure was above 20ppm and didn't kill or even harm any of my fish.

I had my nitrates once up to 250ppm :/ I really don't know how that was possible.. but it sure was above 20ppm and didn't kill or even harm any of my fish.

I may not be reading you correctly as intended, so if not I apologize...but if you are suggesting that high nitrates is not a problem, I cannot agree. There is evidence now that many fish cannot tolerate nitrate, but unlike ammmonia and nitrite, nitrate affects them differently and it depends upon the level, the exposure period, and the species. In general, nitrate weakens fish over time, making them susceptible to many other issues they would otherwise be able to easily handle but due to the nitrate cannot do so. This is somewhat akin to maintaining soft water fish in hard water; the fish seem to be fine day by day, until suddenly they succumb to "x" or they just die "for no reason." But nitrate is the reason.

I may not be reading you correctly as intended, so if not I apologize...but if you are suggesting that high nitrates is not a problem, I cannot agree. There is evidence now that many fish cannot tolerate nitrate, but unlike ammmonia and nitrite, nitrate affects them differently and it depends upon the level, the exposure period, and the species. In general, nitrate weakens fish over time, making them susceptible to many other issues they would otherwise be able to easily handle but due to the nitrate cannot do so. This is somewhat akin to maintaining soft water fish in hard water; the fish seem to be fine day by day, until suddenly they succumb to "x" or they just die "for no reason." But nitrate is the reason.
No, but its alright :) I was saying that I had very high nitrate for some time and it haven't harmed my fish, but I'm not suggesting its not harmful definentely.

Update -
40 gallon tank has been water changed 75% - refilled with tap water and added tap water conditioner. Swapped out the filter with a brand new one. Fish are looking a bit better already!

5 gallon tank completely took fish out and decorations replaced the ugly white rocks that had the algae showing everywhere with black rocks. Filled up the tank with tap water, conditioner, and API quick start. Filter changed as well. Waiting for it to clean up
As you weren’t aware of the cycling, you may not know that your beneficial bacteria grow on surfaces. While most of us want to look at a “clean” tank, I would suggest you leave your filter and decorations as they are until your tank is stable. Mostly your filter. If it is very dirty, then rinse it in used tank water to clean it, but do not replace it with a new one or run it under the tap. You’re basically killing off the beneficial bacteria otherwise. Therefore hindering/restarting your cycle. In fact, if you can, consider replacing or adding a sponge to your filter as added surface area for more beneficial bacteria. Cartridges are a waste of money and most have carbon which, unless you’re trying to remove medication, do very little if anything.

Your tank isn't cycled, and at this point I can only recommend a few things:
- do you have a friend with an established tank? Getting some of their old filter media can help establish a bacteria colony in your tank.
- add the "beneficial bacteria in a bottle" each day. You mentioned that you did it once, but even their directions say to use until the levels come down.
- I know some folks mentioned the following two tips, but I'm combining them: Do a water change, but do not touch any substrate or decor item. No matter how nasty they look.
- It will get better with the 40, so keep at it. Don't lose faith!
- It will get better with the 5, but things can go sideways on mini-tanks in a heartbeat. My 10-gallon is more work than my 90-gallon.

Right now water changes are more important. If that's what you have use it. Lets get over the urgent problem and deal with that later.

Prime would be better while trying to fix the other issues since it can detoxify chloramine and even bond with nitrates to make them less dangerous temporarily.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back