Could I keep a single blood parrot in a standard 29 gallon or an 82 by 40 by 39cm (32.5 gallons)?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

nathanm

Reaction score
A lot of stores say it's okay but it is in their interest to sell the fish so I don't fully trust them. If so, could I keep any fish with them?

Thanks!

A lot of stores say it's okay but it is in their interest to sell the fish so I don't fully trust them. If so, could I keep any fish with them?

Thanks!
I did some research on multiple websites for you on multiple websites... All of them say 30 gallons os the minimum BUT they do grow to be 7-8 inches in length which is a pretty good size... For me it would be best in a 40 gallon breeder or a 55 gallon as a minimum but 30 gallons SOUNDS like it would be ok.

Long winded answer coming... that is a BIG fish. Length is one thing, but blood parrot hybrids are very heavy bodied fish. If you aren't planning to kill the fish while it's still young, it'll grow, and it'll surprise you how fast (if you take care of it). I have never seen a 30 gallon a fish that size could comfortably turn around in. As well, you would be doing 50% water changes 3 times a week to keep up with its waste load. It's the goldfish in a bowl effect.
They are very aggressive fish intentionally bred to be too handicapped to act on their aggression. Some of the older strains I see in stores are developing less deformed mouths, and that means they can bite again. In a 30 any tankmate who survived the water quality from a big fish would run for its life 24/7. If I ever end up in jail, sharing a small cell with a slow moving slightly injured serial killer, I will be a lot more stressed than if I have to see him in a large open prison exercise yard...
So I would say NO.

BTW - I don't think stores are thinking of selling no matter what. The fish aren't expensive. I think they expect them to have very short lifespans in our tanks, and sell them as expendable, consumable objects. In one year with a 30 gallon, you could go through a few bloody parrots.

I did some research on multiple websites for you on multiple websites... All of them say 30 gallons os the minimum BUT they do grow to be 7-8 inches in length which is a pretty good size... For me it would be best in a 40 gallon breeder or a 55 gallon as a minimum but 30 gallons SOUNDS like it would be ok.

Long winded answer coming... that is a BIG fish. Length is one thing, but blood parrot hybrids are very heavy bodied fish. If you aren't planning to kill the fish while it's still young, it'll grow, and it'll surprise you how fast (if you take care of it). I have never seen a 30 gallon a fish that size could comfortably turn around in. As well, you would be doing 50% water changes 3 times a week to keep up with its waste load. It's the goldfish in a bowl effect.
They are very aggressive fish intentionally bred to be too handicapped to act on their aggression. Some of the older strains I see in stores are developing less deformed mouths, and that means they can bite again. In a 30 any tankmate who survived the water quality from a big fish would run for its life 24/7. If I ever end up in jail, sharing a small cell with a slow moving slightly injured serial killer, I will be a lot more stressed than if I have to see him in a large open prison exercise yard...
So I would say NO.

BTW - I don't think stores are thinking of selling no matter what. The fish aren't expensive. I think they expect them to have very short lifespans in our tanks, and sell them as expendable, consumable objects. In one year with a 30 gallon, you could go through a few bloody parrots.
Alright, maybe you have a point. Any other personable, bigger fish that could go in an 82 by 40 by 39cm

If you love big fish, you have to have big tanks. I do have a personable 4-6 inch fish to suggest - H multispinosa, the rainbow cichlid. They are very engaging 'personalities'. Who ever decided to call them rainbows must have lived in a very muddy universe, as their colours aren't a strong point. But a pair is a lot of fun to watch, and they figure out who brings the food really fast. They make a good pet.

What kind of fish are you looking to keep with the blood parrot? There was mention of their ā€˜aggressionā€™ in an earlier answer. I own a few, albeit the newest two are only a month in, Iā€™ve had the other one for over a year now. And, it did get murderously aggressive when it laid eggs, it hasnā€™t been since, and sheā€™s had tank mates ranging from small tetras to a flowerhorn (that one didnā€™t work out, flowerhorn was too mean and apparently had worms). She is already the size of the palm of my hand, so no, a 30 gallon tank would be to small for the life of a blood parrot. They are said to have long lifespans. I can only speak on the other people Iā€™ve met with them, only about 2 or 3, but they were all in the 3-7 year age range, the 7 year one being the size of a small plate. And from my experience they are a hardy fish with great personalities. Worth having a larger tank for in my opinion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back