Could I keep 5 African Dwarf Frogs, 1 Dwarf Gourami, and 2 Nerite Snails in a 15 gallon?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Akeath

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Could I fit 5 ADFs, 2 Nerite Snails, and a single Dwarf Gourami into a 15 gallon comfortably, or would that be overstocked? Would the Dwarf Gourami be a safe tank mate for the African Dwarf Frog and Nerite Snails? I've heard Dwarf Gourami can be a bit territorial, but I don't know if this applies mostly to other bright fish with long fins or if it applies to Frogs and Snails as well. I don't want the frogs to be harassed or picked at, they're timid little things. I've also heard that ADFs will sometimes nip the fins of Bettas, chomping down when they see movement and not realizing what it is due to their poor eyesight, and I was wondering if this would be an issue with the Dwarf Gourami's relatively shorter fins or not. I know the pectoral fins of Gourami in particular are long, but I'm imagining they're so thin the frogs would have a hard time accidentally latching onto them, but has anyone had problems with that? I would be making sure that everyone got food in the frog tank, I have a Turkey Baster for target feeding already.

I already have the 5 African Dwarf Frogs in a 10 gallon (I had 3 originally, they reproduced) but am upgrading them to a 15 gallon (56 litre). I have a great local pet store that sells healthy, carefully bred stock to get the Dwarf Gourami from that I've been shopping at for a number of years, and I feel the chances of getting a Dwarf Gourami with iridovirus there is less likely than at other stores. I already have 3 Honey Gourami gals in another larger community, but I've always wanted a Dwarf Gourami and feel like having a large (for a 15 gallon), colorful fish would add a lot to the ADF tank. And the blue would really pop in the frog tank, which I've decorated according to my husband's taste with soft decor in bright warm colors (red, orange, yellow, pink) with a black background and black substrate. When I mentioned adding a Dwarf Gourami to my husband and he said it didn't have to be red because it would blend in with the decorations, I was so excited at the idea of getting a blue fish. I love blue fish so much, but I don't have any right now.
Currently the 2 Nerites are in my 40 gallon community. They can stay there if they would overstock the 15 gallon, but I'd like to move the 2 Nerites to the 15 gallon if possible. I've found Nerites to be surprisingly social, so I want to keep a pair together regardless of which tank they'll in.

Tank info:
15 gallons (24"x12"x12")
78 degrees (75 watt Jager heater)
7.4 pH, 11 dGH
I'm intending to use the cycled Marina Slim S10 filter I'm using for my 10 gallon, so I can keep the cycle in the upgraded tank. I'm also planning to add another Marina Slim S10 or S15 to make sure there's enough filtration for the larger tank size. Both filters would be adjustable to keep the current low and will have a sponge over the intake
Marineland Hidden LED Strip 6500 Kelvin Aquarium Light (May upgrade the size, but I'm not sure. I want plenty of shade since both ADF and Dwarf Gourami prefer low light, and all the decor is silk plants rather than live)
My 10 gallon is already extremely full of caves, silicone decorations, and silk plants, but I would likely be adding floaters for the Dwarf Gourami and probably at least a couple new plants to keep everything densely decorated.

African Dwarf Frogs are best kept in a single species environment and not with other fish...

And as a fair warning, a lot of the dwarf gouramis have an incurable disease that spreads to other gouramis. It's advisable not to get them because of that... Not saying you can't, but just a fair heads up...

If you want a small fish that KINDA has the same coloration as DGs, look at peacock gudgeons...
You could do a group of 3-4 in there. I would get 1 male and 2-3 females. And make sure there are small caves. (When I say small I mean SMALL, they fit in to the teensiest of spaces lol)

ADF's are lovely but if kept with fish they will lose the competition for food as they are very slow. I know this from experience.

Short answer, No.

Rocky covered it to some degree. Dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and all their colour forms are regularly infected with the Gourami Iridovirus and or Fish Tuberculosis (TB). Neither of these diseases can be treated and remain in the aquarium until you disinfect the tank and everything in it, including the remaining fish (that means killing the fish). Nobody should be buying dwarf gouramis until the suppliers clean up their mess. There are other small species of gourami that will be fine in the tank and are much less likely to have these diseases, but any labyrinth fish (Bettas & gouramis) can carry the Iridovirus, and any fish can have Fish TB. But dwarf gouramis regularly carry one or both of these diseases.

Frogs should be kept in single species tanks for several reasons.
If the fish get sick and need treating, most fish medications will kill the frogs.
Frogs will eat anything small enough to fit in their mouth and that includes fish, shrimp and snails.
It's easier to feed frogs when they are in their own tank because the fish don't take the food.

Could it be possible to do it with a divider? The competition for feeding and risk of aggression would be mitigated if the frogs had a section of their own away from the Dwarf Gourami. I'd have to be careful they couldn't get over or under the divider, of course. I could fit up to a 20 gallon tall (24"x12"x16") on that stand. But I'm not sure how large of a territory the Dwarf Gourami would require, as I've never kept one. And I might have to start with playing around with the divider before getting the Dwarf Gourami to see exactly how much of an area the 5 Dwarf Frogs would be okay with. If this wouldn't work I'll have to just give up on the Dwarf Gourami, though. I just don't have room for more aquariums. If that's what's best for the froggies I'll just have to accept it.

As for the health side of things:
As I understand it the specific strain of Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus (megalocytiviruse) is a type of Iridovirus that is only present in fish. In other words, it shouldn't spread to the frogs. Mycobacteria (which causes fish tuberculosis, and which unfortunately I've had experience with in the past) can spread to amphibians. And humans, for that matter. But if it did spread to the frogs, I should be able to safely treat the frogs and the fish with Minocycline without harming either. I researched what medications for common diseases were safe for Frogs before I got them so I would know what to turn to if they ever showed signs of illness. I've also been keeping an eye on the Dwarf Gourami at this store for years, and they seem to be very well bred specimens, and I've always been impressed by the health of the Dwarf Gourami and all the other critters I've gotten at this store over the years. I have much more confidence in their critters being well bred than I would at a different store.

I'm also going to bring up the point that a quick search says two frogs for a 10-15 gallon. You have five in a 20 gallon and I feel that this might be a bit overcrowded for the frogs.
They also need a shallower tanks since they normally live in shallow water. A twenty gallon might be too deep for them.

These are African Dwarf Frogs, not African Clawed Frogs. 2 gallons per Dwarf Frog is standard, but I'd rather give them a bit more wiggle room just in case. And the 20 gallon height is 16 inches, with 18 inches or shorter usually being recommended for them.

These are African Dwarf Frogs, not African Clawed Frogs. 2 gallons per Dwarf Frog is standard, but I'd rather give them a bit more wiggle room just in case. And the 20 gallon height is 16 inches, with 18 inches or shorter usually being recommended for them.
I was looking at care for an African Dwarf Frog and not an African Clawed Frog

I'm also going to bring up the point that a quick search says two frogs for a 10-15 gallon. You have five in a 20 gallon and I feel that this might be a bit overcrowded for the frogs.
They also need a shallower tanks since they normally live in shallow water. A twenty gallon might be too deep for them.
Agree on the depth issue, but 5 in a 15 is completely fine for ADFs

Colin covered this like an expert. Do not combine frogs and fish, ever.

Sounds like this tank will have to remain a frog only zone, then. I do already have a 40 gallon community with a trio of Honey Gourami anyway. I'll still upgrade the frogs to a 15 gallon, and maybe I can do some additional soft plants and caves so the frogs (and I) will still feel they're getting an upgrade. The frogs do really like hanging amid, under, and on their decor a lot, so I bet they'll appreciate more hiding places in the new aquarium. And I will feel a lot better going from a 10 gallon that's nearly overstocked to a 15 gallon that's got more wiggle room.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back