Could a pellet be stuck in a rasbora's mouth?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

eicca

Reaction score
I noticed one of my smaller rasboras constantly 'chewing' so I took a closer look and it seems to me that there's a pellet stuck in its mouth. Will it be able to dislodge it on its own or should I intervene and how?

Link to video: https://we.tl/t-PFOMfneBf0

Video doesn't seem to work. Could you upload it to youtube then post a link here? I'd like to see if this is really what's going on.

If it is, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had this sort of thing happen before, and while it is uncomfortable and stressful for the fish, it is hardly ever life-threatening. Eventually the pellet will soften and the fish will either spit it out or swallow it. Any attempt to intervene will probably do more damage than good.

That said, if this is happening, you might consider switching to smaller pellets or flakes. This sort of thing is one of the reasons I tend to prefer flakes (along with small freeze-dried or frozen foods) for most fish, especially smaller ones.

Video doesn't seem to work. Could you upload it to youtube then post a link here? I'd like to see if this is really what's going on.

If it is, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had this sort of thing happen before, and while it is uncomfortable and stressful for the fish, it is hardly ever life-threatening. Eventually the pellet will soften and the fish will either spit it out or swallow it. Any attempt to intervene will probably do more damage than good.

That said, if this is happening, you might consider switching to smaller pellets or flakes. This sort of thing is one of the reasons I tend to prefer flakes (along with small freeze-dried or frozen foods) for most fish, especially smaller ones.
Thank you, it seems to be okay now. I try to crush the pellets for the smaller rasboras (I got a mix of adults and younger ones) but I guess this one found a larger piece. I'll look into your recommendation, thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back