Could a dream come true?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Yes but I guess what I am not understanding is, lets say I get some guppies for outside to breed. What do I do with the breeding pair?
You’d be breeding during summer only to sell not to keep. Check his second paragraph in post #57

You put fish outside in ponds/ tubs to breed during spring, summer and autumn. Then sell anything you don't want to keep, and bring the remaining fish inside and keep them in holding tanks over winter.

For fish like livebearers, buy 4 or 5 female guppies, platies and swordtails, and put them in separate ponds (1 pond for guppies, 1 pond for platies, 1 pond for swordtails). Add a few aquatic plants and let them breed. If you feed the adult females well, they won't eat the young and at the end of summer you will have hundreds of fish to sell. You can also sell off unwanted plants for more money.

You should deworm and treat all new livebearers for gill flukes before putting them out in ponds.

-----------
If you have spare ponds then add 1 or 2 prs of rainbowfish (don't mix species). Add a heap of plants and let them breed. When you see babies (usually 1-2 weeks after adding the adults), move the adults into another pond and rear up the babies in the pond they are in.

-----------
For gouramis and Bettas, add 1pr to a pond/ plastic storage container and put some floating plants in. Feed well and let them breed.

For dwarf cichlids, add 1pr to a pond and have some caves and plants in there. Let them breed and sell the babies when 2-3 months old.

If you have 10 containers producing fish over spring, summer and autumn, you will probably get 2-3 batches of fry from each pr of fish. Each batch can contain several hundred young that can be sold when 1-2 inches long.

If done properly, you can end up with several thousand fish to sell and once they have been sold, you can put the money into your bank account.

Last edited:
One more time @Colin_T ... I. DONT. HAVE. THE. SPACE.... I cannot keep another aquarium inside of our home... We just cant. So I can't do holding tanks for the winter. But I can just sell them to my LPS and then restart in the spring and summer

Y
So, this is how by the end of High School I had forty-five tanks in a room, and they were paying for my hobby. There is no such word as can't you can always find a way if you really want to. ;)
You dont understand... My parents won't let me. Also how do you fit 45 tanks in your room unless you had a mansion? My room is fairly small...

O
In your current tank they will be fine, these are tiny fish in a big tank.
Oh wait... I thought you meant the outdoor fish housing them in my tank for the winter...

Sorry, I should have read the whole thread. I didn't know you had outdoor fish. My mistake shouldn't have put my nose in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back