Could a dream come true?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I know the fish would most likely get along, what I am concerned about though is the tank size... If its big enough for 3 Pearl gourami and peacock gudgeons plus a small schooling fish... Or what if I did dwarf rainbow fish? I'd have to research them more
Ohhhhhhhh ok. If it’s 36x12, I would think it would be big enough! But I have never kept pearl gourami personally so am only going off what I’ve heard. Did the listing state which measurement was height and which was depth? I noticed you listed it LxHxW, I was under the impression that aquariums were measured LxWxH…

Ohhhhhhhh ok. If it’s 36x12, I would think it would be big enough! But I have never kept pearl gourami personally so am only going off what I’ve heard. Did the listing state which measurement was height and which was depth? I noticed you listed it LxHxW, I was under the impression that aquariums were measured LxWxH…
No he listed it in L×H×W. So it was 36×24×12

Lol... I've been looking at other fish options if I do get this tank. Of course I would add on more peacock gudgeons but I almost want to see about getting a trio of pearl gourami? Idk if its a good option but if not then I guess I will just keep looking... Although I really really like pearl gourami.
If you get this new tank or any other tanks, you should try to breed fish to make some money. You won't make thousands but will make enough to pay for the hobby and allow you to buy more tanks and equipment.

Pearl gouramis aren't big sellers but if you have a few shops nearby or know a fish wholesaler, you can get rid of lots of young fish to them.

You could get a group (1 male & 4 females) of peacock cichlids and breed them in the tank. Sell any babies.

Some of the rainbowfish sell and if you can get good stock you can sell a lot of them. Melanotaenia praecox is a good one to keep and breed. They are brightly coloured, don't get too big and produce a lot of eggs and subsequently young. You can sell the young fish at 2-3 months of age.

Mouth brooding bettas are another option.

A pr of pear gouramis would be fine in that tank.

In Australia and many parts of the world we state aquarium sizes as length x width x height.

In America and a few other places you lot say width x depth x height, which is weird to me :)

If you get this new tank or any other tanks, you should try to breed fish to make some money. You won't make thousands but will make enough to pay for the hobby and allow you to buy more tanks and equipment.

Pearl gouramis aren't big sellers but if you have a few shops nearby or know a fish wholesaler, you can get rid of lots of young fish to them.

You could get a group (1 male & 4 females) of peacock cichlids and breed them in the tank. Sell any babies.

Some of the rainbowfish sell and if you can get good stock you can sell a lot of them. Melanotaenia praecox is a good one to keep and breed. They are brightly coloured, don't get too big and produce a lot of eggs and subsequently young. You can sell the young fish at 2-3 months of age.

Mouth brooding bettas are another option.
I like the idea but won't the other fish just eat the fry? And I don't have hard water so no peacock cichlids 😞... I could do a shoal of those rainbow fish maybe and also do a pair of bristlenose plecos maybe? They are in high demand at my LFS

Or do multiple schools of different fish like lamb chop rasboras and cherry barbs... I know odessa barbs are aggressive but maybe have them as the only schooling fish?... Ahh I think too much... I don't even know if I can get this tank...

If you want to breed the fish, just have 1 species swimming in the middle of the tank (say rainbowfish), and 1 species on the bottom. That way you won't lose as many eggs to the other fish and will get more to sell.

M. praecox rainbowfish and a pr of bristlenose catfish would give you 2 species that breed easily and readily, and can be sold without too much effort. Have peacock gudgeons breeding in the other tank and you should be making money in no time.

If you want to breed the fish, just have 1 species swimming in the middle of the tank (say rainbowfish), and 1 species on the bottom. That way you won't lose as many eggs to the other fish and will get more to sell.

M. praecox rainbowfish and a pr of bristlenose catfish would give you 2 species that breed easily and readily, and can be sold without too much effort. Have peacock gudgeons breeding in the other tank and you should be making money in no time.
I cant have two tanks set up. This tank would upgrade my current tabk so that way there is more space for different species... I would want the gudgeons to be in the 45; one so I could get more and two because there would be way more swim space for them! I'm looking at either doing the neon dwarf rainbow fish, or a trio of pearl gourami. I showed my family both and I think those really got their attention 😅

Im still not sure whether or not my mom will let me or not... But I have a half good gut feeling and half bad

I wouldn't keep rainbowfish (except blueeyes/ Pseudomugils) with peacock gudgeons because the rainbows will eat all the food.

I wouldn't keep pearl gouramis or any big gourami with peacock gudgeons either.

--------------------
Peacock gudgeons live in their little area and don't need lots of space for swimming.

If you are limited to room in your place, get a double tier stand and have one tank above the other. You use the same amount of space as one tank, but get two in the same spot.

I wouldn't keep rainbowfish (except blueeyes/ Pseudomugils) with peacock gudgeons because the rainbows will eat all the food.

I wouldn't keep pearl gouramis or any big gourami with peacock gudgeons either.

--------------------
Peacock gudgeons live in their little area and don't need lots of space for swimming.

If you are limited to room in your place, get a double tier stand and have one tank above the other. You use the same amount of space as one tank, but get two in the same spot.
My mom is only letting me use one space in the house (a dresser like piece of furniture in the front room) so no two tier stand for me... But iwas looking up pearl gouramis and they usually stay net the top to mid section... I heard that they keep to themselves and that sense their bigger than the gudgeons that the gudgeons would leave them alone? Maybe not?.... I was only going to keep 3-4 of them figuring that they would get along with the peacocks because I read from others that they have kept them together in a 40g

If you want to breed the gouramis, get 1 pr and hope they don't eat the gudgeons. You will also need to make sure the gudgeons get some food if you keep them with gouramis.

Can you set up some containers outside and breed fish outdoors over summer?
It will give you some extra income and the fish won't be inside.

If you want to breed the gouramis, get 1 pr and hope they don't eat the gudgeons. You will also need to make sure the gudgeons get some food if you keep them with gouramis.

Can you set up some containers outside and breed fish outdoors over summer?
It will give you some extra income and the fish won't be inside.
Ive talket to my mom about doing a small pond... Like 30-40 gallons and she seems on board BUT the fish would have to handle very low temps. Sometimes it gets 20°F here and the water gets a light ice coating on top sometimes

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back